Septo Bac

Lolafish

I've been researching these enzymes used for septic tanks, and it's been used to help speed tank cycling! Has anyone else ever heard that?

Here's some info:

It's called Septo-Bac and for $4.50 you'll have enough freeze dried bacteria to kick start a few thousand gallons worth of tanks.

From the people that have used this with great success (150 gallon tanks cycled in 1 week) you take 1 pack of Septo-Bac, mix it into a few gallons of water, stir it up & let it 'grow' overnight. Then strain over cheese cloth, and 1 cup will provide enough bacteria for a 50 gallon tank. As long as there's an ammonia source to feed the bacteria, it appears to work extremely well.

Bio-Spira works as claimed, as does Septo-Bac, both are made up from the same type of bacteria that you used to seed your tank.

Septo-Bac just happens to be a very cheap one.

BTW - Septo-Bac isn't made or distributed for the aquarium trade, and for the amount you get for $4.50, I don't think the manufacturers are attempting to deceive anyone. ;)

This is also the product the CRLCA recommends for kick starting a new tank.

http://www.crlca.com/fishsite/articles.html

Septo Bac is a powdered pre-measured bacterium in 1 oz packages. One dry ounce will cycle a 150-gallon tank in a few days. Cost $3.49 CAD for 12 packages versus considerably more for a bottle of tank cycling products or other pet store products. The product contains the same aerobic bacteria but Septo Bac is more concentrated and can cycle 10 x 150 gallon tanks. In a pinch human urine will also help cycle a tank. Only a few ounces will do the job.

another way to dose:

look for a product called Septo-Bac in the septic tank supplies. I believe there are 8 envelopes in a box. Now, buy some unbleached coffee filters. Take 1 tablespoon septo-bac powder and thoroughly mix in 1 cup water. Now strain the water through the coffee filter to catch the solid stuff. Discard the coffee filter with the solid stuff and take the filtered liquid and pour directly into your filter or tank. The Septo-Bac uses the same beneficial bacteria as BioSpira for a fraction of the cost and will quickly increase the beneficial bacteria in your filter to neutralize the excess ammonia. I have used it several times over the years to quickly and permanently neutalize and eliminate dangerous ammonia and nitrite spikes and have never suffered a fish loss using Septo-Bac

I would be interested in knowing exactly what strains of aerobic bacteria are used in the SeptoBac...... it could be that they are acceptable....

I do know that every single one of the "dried" bacteria products on the market that I have tested do not have any viable bacteria in them once hydrated. Every one of the off the shelf liquid bacteria starters available in the general pet stores also do not contain any viable bacteria of the proper strains.

BioSpira varies GREATLY as to the viability of individual packets. I think this is directly connected to how well the product was handled in transportation to the store and in the store before sale.

Interesting suggestion. Are you going to try it? Let us know how it goes.....

As long as it's something FOR septic tanks... and not something FROM septic tanks!! eww eww eww

Let us know if you try it!

Debbie

Lola - I went to one lfs today, and they didn't have any kH test kits. The guy there seemed very knowledgeable... but they can be tricky sometimes... Anyway - he said to try doing a water change and see what happens, but I'm going to try a few more stores for the test kit first. I'd like a "before/after" to see if the water change would make any difference.

Archived