Slugsss

Guest gdmwilson

Guest gdmwilson

Does anyone know if it is okay to feed my coldwater goldfish slugs that I catch from my garden. I'm sure I read somewhere that its fine

I would not - but I do not have a definitive "NO" from any expert. My reasoning is that, while slugs appear to simply be snails without a shell, they are a different creature.

You can see the slime trails slugs leave. They are covered in a VERY sticky, nasty slime coat. The slug uses this as protection against predators. There are very few (and to tell you the truth, I cannot think of ANY) animals, wild or domestic, that will eat a slug. They are very foul tasting and to some, the slime coat acts as a paralyzing agent - numbing the mouth. Cows will reject any feed that has slugs on or in it - even if starving. Even raccoons - who eat EVERYTHING - will not eat slugs.

I would pass on the slugs for the goldies. There are sooooo many other things out there that are far more better for the fish and easy to obtain.

Ewwwwhh - just thinking of the way my hands feel after I have picked slugs from my hostas in the spring - that sticky NEVER washes off!!!! Ewwwwwwhhhh!!!

We dont use any slug pellets in our garden or the one next door, but that isnt to stay other people do not. But I have found a few slugs before that have made their way to the pond, and the goldies havent touched them. They dont appear to break down easily, and stay slimy and the same shape.

Archived