Can I Try Moving In A Second Fish?

Shamu23

Params in my 125 gallon this morning are ammonia still 0, nitrtie 0 or 0.1 I couldnt tell if the water had any color at all or not and nitrate is 12.5. Im gonna test our tapwater for nitrate just incase but I dont think it has nitrates but I dont remember, but I have 0 ammonia and I have/had nitrite which means there must b a good cycle going. Im wondering if I could try adding Frodo my 2 inch common to the tank? I'll keep a close eye on the params and take him back out if I have to, params havent changed with 1 fish except that I was sure that I had 0.1 nitrite before now I cant tell.

This is the second day, I pm'd Daryl, we'll see what her opinion is, I was thinking of waiting but I just didnt think 1 small fish would get me a great cycle.

You can ALWAYS add a second, third, forth and fifth fish into that tank if you wish. It all depends on how hard you want to work for it.

A tank will balance its cycle out for the waste load provided. If there are more fish making more waste, more BB can grow and will grow to handle the extra waste. The end result will be more nitrate that you will need to change out.

In a very large tank with a very small fish load, your tank will still cycle - and rather gently on the fish with no great spikes in the ammonia or the nitrites simply because the sheer volume of the tank will dilute them out sufficiantly such that your small weekly water changes will most likely be plenty to keep the tank in order. As you add fish, you add waste and the waste (ammonia/nitrite) will increase in concentration. The BB should also grow to match the waste supplied.

As long as your tank has a colony of BB that is up to the waste load of one fish, (it appears that it may be - if your readings are correct - did you ever see any ammonia or nitrite in that tank?) then it is basically "Done". It will not develop a larger colony of BB until there is more to "feed" it - ie: another fish.

If you want to minimize your water changing needs and maximize the gentle development of a cycle, add in only one fish at a time and test test test. When the ammonia/nitrites go to zero, you can add in another fish.

A tank is officially "cycled" when the BB colony has grown large enough to completely process any waste that is created on a daily basis/ The nitrogen cycle will go from ammonia (waste) to nitrite to nitrate as fast as the fish can produce the waste. This will give you zero/zero readings on ammonia/nitrite. As you add more waste, the BB colony will grow in response - more BB can process more waste in the same amount of time.

A 1000 gallon tank can be cycled with only one tiny fish in it. It will be a little colony of BB. The same tank can be cycled with 100 small fish in it - but this time, the BB colony will be more robust and have more bacteria in it. As your stocking increases, as long as you have sufficiant water turnover to bring the waste laden water past the bacteria colonies in the filter, enough oxygen to be used in the nitrogen cycle and enough platform to support the number of BB you need, you can STILL have a nicely cycled tank.

You can ALWAYS add a second, third, forth and fifth fish into that tank if you wish. It all depends on how hard you want to work for it.

Exactly. :thumb:

When I start up my 125, there's no way I'm doing more than one fish at a time. The smaller tanks are enough trouble. :rofl

I never got an ammonia reading ever since I added the fish, nitrite was at 0.1 now I cant tell wether there is any or not, but even if there is its defianently not much. I added over a silk plant from a cycled tank today so Im going to try and move the other fish over, if I get an ammonia spike or anything I'll take him back out cause I cant do too many big waterchanges cause our water supply is limited cause our pond is draining rather fast. I also still have a little bit of prime left, and Im hopefully gonna get more soon cause Im almost completely out of waterconditioners. I just realized that today when I used up the last of my aquaplus and realized that my prime is almost empty too :(

Archived