How Do You Clean Your Computer?

Trinket

I'm starting to see some muck and dust stuck in between the keys on the keyboard. A cotton bud is way too thick to clean in there. Then there's the screen, its always a little dusty and I think I can see fingerprints on it :o I don't know what to use to wipe it. Does anyone have any home remedy cleaning tricks to share as commercial products are expensive. What do you use :) ?

For the keyboard I do use a commercial product, the compressed air in a can. It's not only effective, but super fun!

I bought screen cleanrer pads from a computer store, and I'm pretty sure they're just mild alcohol wipes (I have a laptop so the screen isn't glass). You may be able to try something like that. :)

I just turn mine upside down and blow on the keys! :D A bunch of cat hairs and crumbs fall out and I'm good to go.

(of course all the crumbs fall in your face )

Seriously, canned air is more dignified, but also expensive. I use a commercial product to clean the screen and key surfaces. It is a furniture polish that is good for various surfaces. I spray a little on a rag, never on the machine.

Do you have one of those little hand-held vacuum cleaners? you might try Vacuuming the keyboard. I personally wouldn't do it with a normal vac, it might suck up a key or two. The hand vacs are really only good for crumbs anyway. A small clean paintbrush makes a nice little crumb sweeper if the brush hairs are long enough and not too stiff or soft. Those are really good for sweeping out the hinge area, and getting into the corners of the static pad mouse.

To clean the keys you can either

A. Remove all the individual keys and wipe out with a paintbrush/rag.

B. Get on of those air cans from the store (best way)

you can use just a paintbrush between the keys but all that really does is move the dirt and stuff into the corners where you can't see it as well.

Blowing on your keyboard, while somewhat effective, can damage your keyboard if to much spit gets on it. I do it sometimes but when my boyfriend catches me you would think I took a hammer to it! lol

As for the moniter I use just a bit of windex on an old teeshirt to clean the whole thing. Don't spray it on the moniter directly, spray it on the old tee.

I use the vacuum cleaner with a tiny, tiny brush on, and put it on low suction.

I have some spray and wipes for the screen.

I use Lysol disinfectant wipes to clean the keyboard. Folded a few times, they are still thin enough to fit between, yet have more strength to wipe.

I use them quite a bit when someone has a cold and uses the computer. :)

No viruses in or on my computer! :D

Debs

Edit - to comment on the monitor: I don't use the wipes on the monitor!! The monitor is cleaned with a bit of Windex on a paper towel. Hubby usually does this, as Windex gives me headaches. :stars

Hmmn, find a willing husband who will take your dirty old computer and buy you a clean one :yeah: Best not to ask me, I never clean my keyboard and if the screen collects dust I just wipe it away and leave fingerprints all over the place :rolleyes: ... think I'm gonna get a plastic cover for my new keyboard, after the experience with my old one.

:D Thanks a lot guys. I must tryt the tinypaintbrush thing. I have always just blown the dust but it isn't enough anymore. I didn't know you could use Lysol wipes on liquid crystal. Wow, I actually have some! Cool. I dont know where to find the air thing.. I had been using a shamay cloth for the screen but it doesn't do a complete jobs. The tiny vacuum- never thought of that one- great.

One Q- how do you take the keys out kaspar? :idont

Mads, rather than covering which can be pulled off by curious young 'uns -I always keep my laptop in its briefcase. It was a good investment as I like the look of the leather case and it can be carried around easily and safely and stored on its side in that.

Well, you are in Japan, Imogen, so I really don't know, but I find those air sprays in any good office supply or electronics store. If there is a nooppee in Japan, they should have it too. :D

Archived