Golden Lyretail Mollies In Half Barrel Pond

dfernandez77

Here are the Mollies in my little pond. I had fancy Goldfish, but they were eaten. I know that most people keep Mollies in tropical aquariums, but I live in Sunny Southern California, and there's a heater in the pond so it stays above 73F.

The Mollies and White Cloud Mountain Minnows I now have in the Half Barrel Pond are fast, and are sensible enough to hide quickly when there is a threat. So far the pond has been rummaged twice by a predator while the Mollies and Minnows have been residents, with no fish loss.

Here's a YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjrWchP_I-4

Here's some photos:

20080101-165447_800.jpg

20080101-165607_800.jpg

20080101-165632_800.jpg

20080101-165712_800.jpg

20080101-165834_800.jpg

20080101-165839_800.jpg

Ooh and mollies are livebearers, with lots of daark places in the pond, you may have some new friends soon! :rolleyes:

If they are of the long-finned variety as I assume they are, that may not be the case. Some fancy male livebearers that have been bred to have long flowing fins often have problems getting their gonopodiums into the females' genital pore. As such, successful fertilization is impossible without the hands-on help of the breeder by artificial insemination

Cute little fishies, looks like little goldies! :heart

Do you have minnows too?

So the pond has been attacked again?? Isn't there anything that could scare them away?!

Some fancy male livebearers that have been bred to have long flowing fins often have problems getting their gonopodiums into the females' genital pore.

Well, he keeps trying the make a gonospeech at the gonopodium. We'll have to wait and see if the audience truly appreciates it.

Cute little fishies, looks like little goldies! :heart

Do you have minnows too?

So the pond has been attacked again?? Isn't there anything that could scare them away?!

There are about 8 minnows I think. They are hard to get a count on because they are black like the liner in the pond. But you can see the little flashes of white and red color under the water when there's food to eat.

About a week ago the plants were messed up from some critter fishing. But all 3 Mollies are still there - though a little nervous for a couple days. There's a motion sensitive light on the pond, but it doesn't seem to help any more.

oh wow daniel they are pretty and quite big what are you feeding them fish roids :lol

They eat whatever grows or falls in the pond, and leftovers from the goldies. A little fish food, freeze dried brine shrimp, bloodworms, and peas. :rolleyes:

wow, they look really nice! and so shiney lol, will you name them Daniel? :D

I'll not be naming them. They don't seem to have a personality like the goldfish, so it's not quite the same. :unsure:

Hopefully, they will be left alone.

Well, night before last the pond was - again - thoroughly rummaged by something. Plants pulled up and broken.

But the fish are all fine. :rolleyes:

I'm going to have to get barbed wire or something. :unsure:

Archived