Jump to content

Two Questions


Faust

Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

I got a beautiful Moor who might have dropsy. I never had a fish ever recover from dropsy and I know how serious it is. First question, is this contagious? I never had a fish pass it on to another before, but you can never be certain. Also, should I just flush this guy? I hate to see him suffer and I don't want him to get the other fish sick. I sort have expected this, as the other tank mate got real sick and died. 1 week later this one has dropsy. Yet the other guy is just fine. I dunno what to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

never flush a live fish! Thats one of the most cruel things u could possibly do! When my oranda died from dropsy he died 30 minutes after almost making a complete recovery but it didnt seem contagious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

I think dropsy may be a symptom of something else? Bacterial infections and a few other things. Do not flush the fish, it's neither safe for the fish or the environment. edit: Now I see. :D Glad you would not be that cruel!

You should quarantine the fish and attempt to treat it, in whatever way possible (within budget and reason).

Good luck and I hope your little guy gets better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

oh well that would certainly better although ur not supposed to flush dead fish either cause it can contaminate water systems. Maybe give him a little longer and euthanize only if u think he is truly suffering. Can u get any metromeds?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Dropsy is a bacterial infection - but as with most diseases, it rarely presents itself as a simple "infection". Bacteria is present in all tanks - at all times. Some more than others. Just as there is always "bad" bacteria in "our" environment, there is always some in a tank or pond. We do not get sick all the time from everything because we have some immunities and we are generally healthy. But when we are ill with other problems or our immunities are low because of stress or injury or bad environment (or a whole host of other problems) it can cause us to be more susceptible to the nasties that live in the environment. Fish are the same way.

A normally healthy fish with strong immunities and no particular stresses in life is mostly capable of resisting problems such as minor parasites and infections. But, add in poor water quality, parasitical loads, cold water, changing water parameters, breeding stresses or any number of other possibilites, the fish's immunities can be impacted - leaving it open to bad bacteria.

Dropsy is often one of these opportunisitic bacterial infections. It can show visible symptoms of "DROPSY" in one fish, and present as popeye in another or a fish that bottom sits or a fish that dies quickly with no outward symptoms.

Since a tank mate died recently, it is a good guess that what is bothering this fish is related to what the other had. And - even though the third fish in not displaying any symptoms, there is still a potential infection in the tank - that fish just may have a stronger immunity working for it at this time.

The good thing is that the water is a tough vector for many infections/bacterias to cross. "Catching" something from one fish to another can be dramatically reduced with simple mechanical precautions. This is the MAIN reason for a UV unit in a tank - to make that vector more impenitrable.

I would, first, remove the fish, ASAP. Realize that your tank is most likely compromised. TEST TEST TEST the water. It is essential that the parameters are PERFECT. That means ZERO, ZERO and VERY LOW in the readings. The pH needs to be stable.

The ill fish should be placed in a qt tub. Raise the temp. Apply adequate aeration and filtration. Do not worry about a cycle at this time. Treat with antibiotics and heat. Change the water 100% every day - adding in Prime if needed to keep the water PERFECT between changes. With luck and, depending on the root cause of the illness, you CAN cure dropsy.

I would also suggest treating the main tank and the remaining fish. If it were me, I would simply place the fish in a totally new tank -run on Zeolite without a cycle. Changing 100% of the water, the whole system can often leave the "nasites" behind. Many bacterias cannot live without a host - so it is possible that you can leave the "nastie" behind in the tank.

As stated above, flushing a fish in NOT a humane way to end it's life. Be a responsible fish keeper and choose a gentler, more humane method. I never give up on a fish until there is literally no other options. Many times, just as you feel you have exhausted EVERY option, the fish will make a dramatic turnaround. I hope it is so for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Makes sense. I shall try this new information. I have a feeling all these fish are going to die. This is my smaller tank, and I know why this is happening. It is because I wanted to get more fish when I already just had baby fry. This tank was meant for them until I can get my hands on a larger tank for them to fully grow out in. I had this feeling before I purchased the smaller fish that had gotten sick, not thinking many fry would survive the first two weeks. Sorry, I think in terms of life's meaning in things, as I am a dreamer. LOL Okay, I see what's going to happen, but I shall try my best to keep this moor alive. He is gorgeous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

How big is the tank, Faust? and how many fish are in there?

Perhaps you should go to the disease section and post up all the info asked for in the white box - that way we could make a proper plan of action for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...