Need Some Clues...

jamisskat

Many of you seen my pictures of Keitaro my oranda when my hubby bought him.. heres the pic.. a very fat Keitaro..

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh64/Je...tarojasmine.jpg

as you may remember he was pretty fat.. Well..I noticed he had some breathing trouble 5days back and thought maybe flukes.. 2 days ago I noticed his scales sticking out and he was getting fatter..The only med I had was Jungle Fungus tabs..treats SBD/dropsy so on.. He's been in treatment for few days and his belly is no longer fat and he's pooping normal.. his scales are back to normal..Ive been feeding nothing but peas..Before feeding the peas and this treatment his poo was white and bubbly with little food color.. do you guys think he was severely constipated? He looks great today!..No more rapid breathing tiny tummy with nice healthy looking poo.. here he is now no more scales sticking out..

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh64/Je...35/keitaro2.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh64/Je...935/Keitaro.jpg

His tummy is 100% normal and better..What do you guys think?..It's not dropsy I know for sure..Ive been there before ..Keitaro acts alot happier and he's stopped the heavy breathing..Im stumped..but yet I bet it's constipation :hmm Iv'e been doing half water changes in his hospital tank replacing with cycled water he's amazing me everyday.. I guess what I thought was harmless fatness turned out to be serious and life threatning... I hope this is in the right area for disscussion.. if not please forgive me and move it.. :)

Yeah, it sounds like constipation, though I'm not an expert by any means. Me, I wouldn't worry too much about it now that he's better, though I would alternate peas and flakes (or whatever the other food is) with a fasting day thrown in there.

Does the tank have any sharp or any decor?

The cause when little o got sick i found that they were being cut by the plastic plant...

No sharp things no..His hospital tank is free of objects also..

Does the tank have any sharp or any decor?

The cause when little o got sick i found that they were being cut by the plastic plant...

No sharp things no..His hospital tank is free of objects also..

well that is good..at least he is fine..

For my tank I took out all of my decor..the only i have is my airstone and my sushi bar sign (which the goldfish knocked down)

Yeah, it sounds like constipation, though I'm not an expert by any means. Me, I wouldn't worry too much about it now that he's better, though I would alternate peas and flakes (or whatever the other food is) with a fasting day thrown in there.

I make gel food..I think he was already constipated when my hubby bought him.. since he had such a huge round tummy...When i look at him now he's totally lost his belly and stopped the weird behaviour.. Should I feed one day fast the next so on?..

So, let me get this all straight in my head, ok?

You have a smaller fish that came to you with a very round belly, but no problems.

He (is the fish male or female ?) got swollen in the belly and had scales sticking out. (All over or only in places?)

The fish was having difficulites breathing - noted by labored breathing - but not surface hanging.

The fish swam normally through all of this.

You have treated using Jungle Fungus Tabs and peas...... Did you alternate or feed the Tabs for days and then the peas?

If I had to throw out a guess, I would think that there was some internal infection in the fish - complicated or caused by constipation. By fasting and feeding peas, you cleared the constipation and by treating with the antibiotics (that is basically what the Fungus Tabs are - antibiotics and antifungal agents) you cleared out any internal infections.

Fish can be constipated for a whole host of reasons - females heavy with eggs, over feeding, too cold water, etc. etc. etc. When the food backs up in the fish, it can sit and stagnant. As it ferments, gas is released and the fish can bloat or float. If the food continues to ferment, the bacteria that is breaking it down can start to adversely affect the fish - and a full-blown bacterial infection can break out. IF this is the case with your fish, you did everything right.

You cleared the blockage and treated the resident bacterial infection. Well done. You need to make sure that this does not happen again (and keep a close eye on the fish - you may or may not have killed all the "Bad Bacteria" so it may reoccur. With luck - the fish has enough immunities that it can now clear the rest without further intervention on your part). If the way that works for you is fasting and feeding peas on a regular schedule, then that is the way you should go.

Each fish is a bit different in how it responds to feeding regiments. I have fish that do better with LOW LOW nitrates. I have fish that need TINY TINY meals, a couple of times a day. I have fish that need fasting 2 days a week. I have fish that are fine NO MATTER WHAT I DO. (Gotta love those fish!!!! :) ) If you find a routine that works - keep it! Do not be afraid to change things up if and when your routine is no longer working the way you wish it to.

Thanks Daryl..yes my husband bought him on 12/15/07 when he came home the fish was fat I thought maybe just the body style.. as the weeks went by he started breathing heavily and bloating..eventually the scales were sticking out on both sides due to the swelling..I started the tabs and peas and within 3 days he was 100%better.. pooping normal now..His poos used to be white with little food color.. now he's acting fine no pineconing.. and pooing normal

Archived