Hikari Pellets

vickielm

I was in the city today and while I was there I stopped at a large lfs that I had been wanting to shop in. I listened to the clerk talking to some customers and he seemed very knowledgeable, not wanting to sell them any fish until their tank had completed cycling and explaining the nitrogen cycle to them. I was looking for Hikari pellets specifically for goldfish and didn't see them. He told me that the Hikari Gold would be fine for them. After I got them home I read the package and it says its for Cichlids, and they are carnivorous.

Can I feed these to the goldfish? I'm also aggrivated because I told him I specifically wanted sinking pellets and these say floating. I can soak them before I feed them to Moby and Florence, but I need to know if they will be alright to give them. They have vitamins A,C,D, E, and K in them. It says good for cichlids and large tropicals.

I wouldn't feed food that was formulted for another kind of fish to goldfish. Chiclid foods are made to meet the needs of chiclids. Betta food for bettas tropical food for trops an gold fish food is made to meet the dietary needs of goldfish. Food to high in protein like that formulatd for carnivores can cause alot of constipation in GF

Cichlid foods is somewhat higher in protein content than Goldie foods. In Hikari's case, 40% vs 32%. That shouldn't be a problem if you are feeding it on occasion. It certainly is a lot less protein than animal foods like brine or krill.

Cichlid food also contains a lot of different vitamins as you stated in your post. Goldie food usually only contains vitamin C because if I recall correctly, it's the only vitamin that they cannot manufacture. I don't know what effect those extra vitamins would have on the Goldies. I would think it would be fine as long as you are not feeding it to them everyday...but I'm not sure.

Well I soaked a few pellets earlier before I had a response from you guys and fed some to them. The little pigs ate 'em, but then again they will eat anything. Drat. I won't feed them to them anymore. I'm disgusted at myself for not reading the whole bag before I left the lfs, and for listening to the lfs guy when I know better. Cichlids are a whole different type of fish than goldies, but the carnivore part confuses me. Goldfish are more herbivores, right? But they do eat shrimp and tubiflex worms.

Can you all clarify me on this point?

The little pigs ate 'em, but then again they will eat anything.

Isn't that the truth.

I have been feeding my goldfish progold, from the goldfish connection, and I am very happy with it.

It's fresh and made in the USA.

Well I soaked a few pellets earlier before I had a response from you guys and fed some to them. The little pigs ate 'em, but then again they will eat anything. Drat. I won't feed them to them anymore. I'm disgusted at myself for not reading the whole bag before I left the lfs, and for listening to the lfs guy when I know better. Cichlids are a whole different type of fish than goldies, but the carnivore part confuses me. Goldfish are more herbivores, right? But they do eat shrimp and tubiflex worms.

Can you all clarify me on this point?

I think the difference is the somewhat higher protein and the extra vitamins. Other than that, I really can't see why the two foods would be that different. If you are really concerned, see if you can find the complete list of ingredients on the Hikari website and compare them.

Carnivores are meat eaters like Lions. They MUST eat meat and their protein requirements are enormous. They will die without it.

Yes goldies are like humans that they do not need(although like humans they love it) to eat meat to survive.

Hi Vickie :D

I was looking at a website for Hikari Gold for Cichlids, and there are two varieties.. there are baby pellets that are similar to the Omega One that I feed Dot.

Hikari Gold

If you want to compare... The Omega One doesn't have Vitamin K, but it has the other vitamins. See?

I wanted sinking pellets, and they only had the small ones.

With the Hikari, there is also mini, medium and large pellets that have more protein than the baby. (32% for baby, 40% for the others) Maybe they aren't so bad?

Unless the website I linked is a different food. :rolleyes:

Hi to Moby and Florence!!! :hi And Rocky - of course!!!

Debbie :heart

Hi Vickie :D

I was looking at a website for Hikari Gold for Cichlids, and there are two varieties.. there are baby pellets that are similar to the Omega One that I feed Dot.

Hikari Gold

If you want to compare... The Omega One doesn't have Vitamin K, but it has the other vitamins. See?

I wanted sinking pellets, and they only had the small ones.

With the Hikari, there is also mini, medium and large pellets that have more protein than the baby. (32% for baby, 40% for the others) Maybe they aren't so bad?

Unless the website I linked is a different food. :rolleyes:

Hi to Moby and Florence!!! :hi And Rocky - of course!!!

Debbie :heart

You went to the right site, Debbie. These are the large pellets and have 40% protein, which is the guaranteed analysis. The typical analysis is 47%. It claims to have stabilized vitamin C which "promotes resistance to stress and immunity to infectuous diseases". If the large amount of protein is going to cause constipation...thats a problem we don't need for sure.

Thanks for looking for that. You are the internet queen!! LOL! :P

Goldfish are Omniverous - meaning they eat EVERYTHING! That includes foods high in protien as well as foods that are all plant based. One of the best diets to help a fish prepare for wintering and spring spawning is the dead and dying insects that fall on the surface of the water in the fall. This matter is 100% protien. Fry are fed 100% protien in the form of live brine shrimp, daphnia, etc.

I would not feed a goldfish that much protien for long periods of time without varying the diet, but protien pumping is one way that you will achieve fast growth. As the others have said, though - the Hikari that you have is just fine to feed. Soak it, give it a squeeze to squzzz out the air and feed away. Or soak it and incorporate it in gel food - a nice food with peas and other green matter. That would make a wonderful alternative food.

I do not feed any food exclusively. Variety is the best thing for life anyway. Do not toss the food or beat yourself up over it. All is fine - and the fish will be fine. Just use it as PART of their diet.

:)

• 4 weeks later...

I just fed Moby and Florence some chopped and mushed up peaches and bananas. Moby (the hoggish fantail) ate them like crazy but Florence (the comet) absolutely refused to touch them. She seemed confused about exactly where her breakfast was, lol, and since I can't feed them again just to suit her (Moby would eat till he popped, I swear he would) she will just have to wait till this evening I guess. Finicky fish!

And they love the pellets, but I just give them a few once a week. Daryl, I didn't see your post about squishing the air out of them till just now, but I will do that the next time. I do soak them till they sink in the cup, though.

Archived