Is My Tank Close To Cycling?

Shamu23

Yesterday I moved Snowflake into the 125 gallon along with his small cycled cascade 100 filter and some ornaments that I had placed in my 29 gallon for awhile. I tested before feeding him, params were pretty good, ammonia 0, nitrite 0.1, and nitrate 12.5, seeing that I have nitrate Im thinking that it might already b close to cycled (well good enough for 1 fish anyway). I will not add any other fish until nitrite zeros out though and i'll add some prime later. How close do u think my tank is? I put the little fishie in at about 8pm last night and tested at about 8:30 am this morning.

Im going to test again later now that i've fed him a tiny piece of a spirulina algae tablet (I didnt wanna risk using messy flake or pellet foods while its not 100% cycled) he hasnt eaten much of the food yet cause he keeps pushing it under rocks so he cant find it sometimes, if he doesnt finsish it soon i'll take it out cause I dont want any ammonia spikes.

Yesterday I moved Snowflake into the 125 gallon along with his small cycled cascade 100 filter and some ornaments that I had placed in my 29 gallon for awhile. I tested before feeding him, params were pretty good, ammonia 0, nitrite 0.1, and nitrate 12.5, seeing that I have nitrate Im thinking that it might already b close to cycled (well good enough for 1 fish anyway). I will not add any other fish until nitrite zeros out though and i'll add some prime later. How close do u think my tank is? I put the little fishie in at about 8pm last night and tested at about 8:30 am this morning.

Do you have nitrate in your tap (many people do, including me)? Or moved a decent amount of water over from the old tank? It seems positive that you have nitrites but no ammonia. And it seems positive that you have nitrates, but there could be other explanations as well. For now, I'd be cautiously optimistic at best, and watch how they change as time goes on. The changes are probably most important to figuring out the status of your tank - or do you have a baseline measurement to compare against from before you put him in?

Anyway, so far, signs are mostly positive, but there's far from enough data to draw any conclusions. Keep testing ~2 times daily and keep us up to date :)

One small fish that is not being fed heavily in 125 gallons is not going to produce measureable waste within 12 hours. Give it a day or two and then measure and see what you have.

Having one small fish in a large volume is one of the nicer ways to cycle using fish. You have a lot of reaction time before the water parameters get toxic. In 5 gallons, they can get toxic in a matter of a few hours. In 125 gallons, you have a day or three to deal with it.

When you DO see zero ammonia, zero nitrites, you will be cycled for ONE small fish ONLY. Every time you add in a new fish, you will see a small bump in the cycle - for a day or so depending on the size of the new fish. This should level out quickly, as the BB population grows to meet the demands of the tank.

An older, more established cycle will not even bump when new fish are added and substracted (within reason) but a new cycle will be just a touch finicky for a while.

I dont have nitrates in my tap and there was none before I dont think. I tested again and Im not sure if nitrite was 0.1 or 0 its so hard to tell with this testkit. Should I try moving over my other small common and see how params r the next morning? If ammonia or nitrite go too high I could move him back, he's about 2 inches, I just wanna try and build up those good bacteria a little.

Archived