Black Moor Has A Big Lump

Guest boggle2

• Test Results for the Following:
    Ammonia Level? not done
    Nitrite Level? not done
    Nitrate level? not done
    Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? not done
    Ph Level out of the Tap? not done
  • Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?the tank has been running for about 2 years and is a metre and a half long,half a metre in depth and qtr of a metre wide not sure what that is in litres.
  • What is the name and size of the filter/s?i cant see a name on it but its only a small black one.
  • How often do you change the water and how much?i change about 3 quarters of the water every 2 weeks.

How many fish in the tank and their size?i have 6 fish in the tank the 2 biggest are about 10cm long and the smallest about 8cm long <LI>What kind of water additives or conditioners? fish safe<LI>Any medications added to the tank? fish safe,it says that it will prevent fish from diseases<LI>Add any new fish to the tank?no <LI>What do you feed your fish? supa dry fish food and sometimes flakes<LI>Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?a big lump growing over my black moors gill,dont think its fungus because the lump isnt white its the same colour as my fish and it looks to be quite soft,he swims in the same corner of the tank though and the only time he comes out is when i put food in so he is still eating ok and then when he has eaten he goes back to the corner of the tank again and just hovers about in that area.Anyone have any idea?just that the lump is really big now,he had had it for months and im just worried that when the lump eventually covers the whole gill he might die.

Welcome to Koko's! :D I'll try to sum up everything I can.

Your tank comes out to about 50 Us Gallons. Your tank is slightly overcrowded and it sounds like the filter is also underpowered. Here on Koko's, we recommend 10 gallons per fancy goldfish and 20 per flat-bodied fish.

10x filtration is also important. For example your filter should be rated at 500 Gallons per Hour. A 20 gallon tank would need 200 Gallons per hour. (GPH) I think you should be changing the water more often.

A test kit would be a good thing to buy if you don't have one yet. That way, you know exactly what's going on in the chemistry of the tank.

I don't know what the lump could be. Possibly a tumor. Could you post a pic on photobucket.com and give us the link?

Guest boggle2
Welcome to Koko's! :D I'll try to sum up everything I can.

Your tank comes out to about 50 Us Gallons. Your tank is slightly overcrowded and it sounds like the filter is also underpowered. Here on Koko's, we recommend 10 gallons per fancy goldfish and 20 per flat-bodied fish.

10x filtration is also important. For example your filter should be rated at 500 Gallons per Hour. A 20 gallon tank would need 200 Gallons per hour. (GPH) I think you should be changing the water more often.

A test kit would be a good thing to buy if you don't have one yet. That way, you know exactly what's going on in the chemistry of the tank.

I don't know what the lump could be. Possibly a tumor. Could you post a pic on photobucket.com and give us the link?

hiya thankyou,ok i will try and get a picture but its a bit difficult cos he moves about when i try take one.is there a way of treating tumours if it is one and how would i find out if it is cancerous?

I don't know if you could tell if it's cancerous. If it gets really bad, there's probably some way of removing it but I don't know. None of my fish have gotten a tumor, and I think it's somewhat uncommon.

You should resolve the overcrowding. All the fish are probably fighting for oxygen right now, and that is a factor in his lack of activity. (He already has a disadvantage) You could also add a bubbler to the tank to help the oxygen and upgrade the filter.

If he still has problems breathing, you could add some aquarium salt. Reduced gill function is sometimes caused by loss of electrolytes through the gills , and the salt helps replenish them. Of course, that still doesn't resolve the tumor.

Maybe someone else knows about tumors.

Hello Boggle. The first thing that needs to be done here is for you to fill out the answers to your water levels of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH. This must be done before diagnosis is made. I also notice your water changing needs to be done much more often and you are probably underfiltrated. Most people run several filters on one tank to get the recommended 10x GPH necessary for goldies who are such huge waste producers.

If you don't have test kits for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH I suggest you get them immediately -they are so essential- and post back with the results so we can help more - a pic would also really help :)

Guest boggle2

ok thankyou i will do that,does anyone know how much the testing kits are?i got told there were about ?10 each?!! what does aquarium salt do tho and do i just add it on its own?and is it allowed to be added with other chemicals?like tap safe and fish safe? do plants also help with oxygen?

Edited by boggle2

Hello - I see you are in the UK so you could try looking here

http://www.egetit.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessioni...view.shopscript

They're roughly around 6.00 each. You could buy them individually or as a master kit with all of them together - check your local aquarium store, too. You could take a beaker of tank water with you and ask them to test it while you decide which one to get. I'd recommend Tetra as the most accurate but many people here use API and Hagen, too.

Be sure to post back with water info before trying to run any treatment yourself; water chem must be understood in order to make reliable diagnoses.

Salt can be used harmlessly if you follow the instructions properly but, like I say, the first order of business is get the tank stats.

A good oxygen level is provided by plenty of surface agitation to improve gas exchange. Regular water changes are necessary, too.