What Shall I Do?

Trico

Ok, I have a 55 gallon which is already totally dedicated to my 5 fancy goldfish. My other tanks that I have open are; 3 ten gallons and 1 29 gallon. I am going to breed guppies, or mollies, in at least one tank. This leaves the 2 tens and the one 29 gallon. I really want to know what kinds of tetras, barbs, or other beatiful tropical fish I could house here. I really want to step out of my narrowed sight of goldfish. Please help me decide, I apperciate all of the future help (hopefully :D )

Thanks

-Clark

Hi Clark, Welcome to koko's!

You may have seen my recent posts about the glofish zebra danios I keep in my 10 gal tank. I think their colors are extremely beautiful. They are also quite playful and hardy so they make a good choice.

Here's some of my other favorite trops that I have experience with--

I love cory catfish. You could dedicate one tank to just a nice school of them. Maybe 6-7 for the 10 gal. They are the most peaceful fish I've ever heard of, they never bother anyone else.

Hatchet fish--another very peace loving fish. They go great with cories since cories stay mostly on the bottom and hatchets are at the top.

Platies--come in all sorts of colors and don't cause any trouble.

Swordtails--my females were all sweethearts but the males are a bit territorial so don't keep more than one in the same tank. I'm very attached to my last st--he was quite young when I got him since his sword wasn't even started growing yet. Now he is so pretty and perfect. He did great with my hatchets and cories. I moved the cories recently because I was given a small rainbow shark--the shark is also territorial and has chased my st a few times. The st is not afraid of the shark at all, though!

The shark is not a good choice for your tanks since they get about 6-7 inches and need more room. I only have mine in a 16 gal for now cause he's so small.

Bettas--one male would love a 10 gal tank. Or you could put 3-4 females in there.

I've had a number of different tetras but took them back to my small lfs to resell because they were nipping other fishes fins. Some actually attacked my cories. So if you want tetras then just keep them in schools of 6 or more of tetra only tanks.

Gold barbs--generally peaceful, they prefer to be in a school. What makes them so cute is they will look out at you all the time like goldfish do.

Hiya,

I think I'll go with some cories and expand to some only tetra tanks later :rolleyes: .

Thanks for your insight, but its a lil late at the moment, we'll discuss some more tommorow :D

Happy New Year!

I've had a really positive experience with my zebra danios, they seem really hardy and are very active! Mine (maybe not the case with all zebras) can be a little aggressive, so I wouldn't put them with any long-finned fish, or any fish that might eat them. I'd also reccommend glofish, though I've never actually had any.

I also really like neon tetras and cardinal tetras, though I've read they can be sensitive to disease.

About the guppies vs. mollies.... I would keep a tank of guppies, just because they are hardy and are SO DARN pretty!!!

Lucky you to have all these tanks, just waiting to be filled! :)

Guest Ink Fish

Hi, I'm Ink Fish,

:idea Have you considered dwarf puffers? They need a heavily planted tank to stop territorial battles and they like hiding spaces. You could have three in a 10 gal, but, they eat a high protein diet so you'd need an extra good filter. Similar to goldies, about x10 turn over per hour. Having experience with my puffer, Boo, they need a wide variety of food, but they love pest snails. My puffer does not like cockles, he preferes fine mussel, well thats just him. Puffers are very cute and fat. They have lots of personality and they get to know you very fast. My puffer comes up to the top to be fed. They're as friendly as goldies, but in my view, sweeter. When I set up my tank I was thinking about danios, but they are fast swimming, stream fish, and need more than a 10 gal, actually they need a 30 gal to school.

Well, just shows how much of a puffer fanatic I am. Hope I have helped. Good luck with your tank! :thumb:

Archived