Does Dropsy Stick Around In The Tank?

dknygrlie4

so, about 2 weeks ago, my blackie passed away from dropsy. i emptied the tank of all it's water and put new water in. i got 2 new fish last week, and they're still stressed. the water params have been in line, so i'm not sure why they're still stressed.

but my concern is that i have a little black moore, that may have dropsy. but i'm not sure. he's so tiny, so i can't tell if the scales are really protruding out. can dropsy causing bacteria stick around in the tank? i didn't bleach the tank since i figured it was an internal infection and i changed all the water. he's like, 1 3/4" big, so i wouldn't even want to expose him to maracyn 2 just yet. the other fish, i got from another aquarium, and hasn't show signs of dropsy, but he is a bit stressed, i think.

i could just be paranoid about the dropsy on the little moore, but better safe than sorry.

Dropsy is just a symptom. The dropsying effect is not contagious, it is the individual fishes response to a set of other health problems that involve internal build up of fluids. Internal infections (unless they are caused by organ failure or swimbladder issues) are often infections that started externally and have become systemic - gone inside. So in a sense they are all contagious as they started in water that the fish share. But with fish, infections do tend to affect weaker or stressed fish and all fish have different tolerance thresholds to different bacteria.

Slight pineconing can be seen with some parasite attacks as the parasites move in under the scales they push them out. New fish are often carring parasites. With the costia parasite for example, dropsy looking pineconing can be quite extreme. Pineconing/full dropsy can also be a symptom of some bacterial infections having got hold internally and caused internal bleeding and also ovary problems with egg impaction. Basically anything internal can lead to dropsy if it gets bad enough. Parasites can multiply inside and the worm colonies, as they expand can push out the scales...there are many reasons for dropsy to happen.

Was Blackie's dropsy sudden or slowly developing? Sudden is more likely bacterial and bacterial issues are contagious but tend to affect stressed fish far more quickly and badly.

Bacteria can survive in droplets of water for a very long time, far less time (from 2 hours to several weeks depending on surface type- a very few bacs can survive 3 months) in dry places. I don't know 100% if Blackie's illness and these are related - but probably I think not. There is an incubation period for all infections which can be 4-6 weeks and the timing here is not right for that. I think you should treat both of your new fish soon for parasites and bacteria with prazi and salt at 0.3%.

I'm sorry if you wanted the short version of this! It got wordy... :o

thanks trinket! that was a great explanation. i prefer the longer one!

there are white looking worm thingies in the water. they kinda drift with the current, or are at the bottom of the tank. they're around 2 mm long. hair thin. maybe even thinner than hair. what are those? is that what's causing them to get stressed and sick?

salted to 0.2%, ran outta salt. will pick up more tomorrow as well as some prazi.

oh, and blackie, i don't know what type of dropsy it was. he had dropsy years ago. and then this go around, he got it, recovered, and then it came back about a week later. the pineconing would start at the area between his dorsal fin and head, and then couples days later, he would be slightly pineconed, but not fully. i treated w/ maracyn 2 and metro meds throughout it all, and continued feed metromeds w/out stop from the first time i saw the pineconing happen.

The little worm things may be just that. They can live inside the fish and come out into the water to bear live off spring and they would also account for a bloated fish showing some dropsying. The good thing is you are getting up to 0.3% salt and you have the prazi coming. Both are important to run with new fish.

I would however also do one more thing to cover all your bases here. I would feed a course of antiparasite de-wormer food to kill off any eggs or worms inside the fish. This will I think result in de-bloat and halt the dropsy. If you can get either Jungles Anti parasite food which contains levimasole OR Ultra Cure PX. with flubenol. Either of these will treat for internal worms where water born prazi cannot reach.

None of these 3 will harm the biofilter and all 3 are gentle on the fish.

there are white looking worm thingies in the water. they kinda drift with the current, or are at the bottom of the tank. they're around 2 mm long. hair thin. maybe even thinner than hair. what are those?

Can you get a picture of that? I'm just curious what that looks like.

I hope you figure everything out.

the little black moore definitely has SOMETHING.

i tried taking pictures of the squigglies, but they won't show up. i can't find any of the 2 mm long ones. all i see now are really tiny tiny ones, like the size of dust. maybe 1 mm if at that. they float around in the water wiggling slowly around, but you can barely see them. i'm not sure if they're wiggling or the water current moves the shape around. i have to stare into the tank w/ a light source behind the tank in order to illuminate the water well enough to see these things. they're thinner than hair. waiting till traffic dies down before i head to the pet store.

as you can see...google is definitely pineconed now. mac, the other little one, has his fins clamped down for periods of time and his tail fins have started to curl. water params still in check. very frustrated. i'm wondering if it was this and not dropsy that got blackie sick, which means i was treating for the wrong thing all this time?? oh the frustration!!!!

post-6920-1199318334_thumb.jpg

OK. Now you have full dropsying effect you should change out the 0.3% salt and add back epsom salt to drain the fluids.

I think the regular salt has flushed out the eggs inside the fish and as they come out they will hatch in the water and be free living.

(Or they can be in the fishes poop and hatch out in that) This also happened with another member's fish here recently.

There are 3 kinds of parasites that can produce visible worms: trematodes, nematodes and cestodes. Any of these inside the fish can produce swelling. A smaller fish will be especially vulnerable to the space they take up internally and the perotinitis they cause.

Did you get the antiparasite food? Very important. It will kill the eggs of all 3 kinds. The prazi may or may not kill the worms in the water depending on their type.

Did you get Blackie from the same store?

This will not be plenaria. Planaria are the small worms (3 to 12 mm) that are found in an established tank where organic debris has accumulated. Plenaria worms are not found in newly set up (or QT) situation like this and they stick to the glass usually not free swimming or floating like these. Planaria are non-parasitic= do not need a fish as host.

blackie came from a petland discounts about 5 years ago. never had any issues with him except the dropsy incident a couple years back which occurred while i was on vacation. then recently in the past couple months, he got a whole onset of problems, between SBD issues, constipation, pop eye and then what i think was dropsy. he was the only one in the 20 gallon tank for a good 2 or 3 years. never introduced any new fish or creatures. after he died, i had no fish in the tank for 1 week, but changed 100% of the water. didn't change the biowheel on the filter.

mac and google i got from different aquaiums. all 3 fish were from different places.

i got the antiparasite food from jungle labs, and got antiparasite tablets from jungle labs as well. was only able to get to 0.3% salt tonight since i ran outta aquarium salt. will let that sit till friday morning before i change to epsom salt. i'm gonna have to do a 100% water change again? can't mix epsom and aquarium salt, correct?

Can't mix.

Try and reduce the salt before you add p/c tabs and epsom, although all the ingredients in this particular parasite medication are compatible with reg. salt too. The great thing about the Jungle anti-parasite food is it also contain an ingredient that kills internal anaerobic bacteria so I think you are well covered.

Treat with both meds and let's take it from there. Fins crossed :)

Jenny, do the worms look like these? These are hookworms but in the same family as roundworms.This is a magnification x 4.

180px-Hookworms.jpg

Unfortunately, i don't have a microscope to look at the buggers closely =T

Sad to say that Mac, passwed away today. Odd thing was, he seemed healthier than the moore, but lo and behold....he couldn't fight it.

I cleared about 95% of the water today, added prazi again. Will see how Google fares.....if google doesn't make it, (knock on wood), i'm probably going to bleach the tank. Bleach WILL kill these bugs, right??

The worm, they do seem to have a mind of their own. they're clearing try to inchworm along the glass where there is no current.

Unfortunately, Google passed away over the weekend. I left friday night and got back sun night. He was floating at the top of the tank with a white cloudish layer on the underside of him. What was also weird, is that some whitish cloud has seemed to drop from him onto the tank floor. It's a dome of whiteness, surrounded by a clearish layer. I partly bleached the tank, ran out of bleach. so will pick up more bleach to run through the entire filter and tank. starting new. sigh. poor google and mac. what do i have?!?!?!

google wasn't pineconed as much as he was before though.

Archived