Water Params Question

After about 2 months of cycling, my 10 and 20 gallon tanks are finally showing nitrates - yay! However, I just wanted to ask you guys if this is normal. I just did 50% water changes yesterday, and I measured the levels again today. These are the results of my 10 gal tank: ammonia=0.25, nitrites=0, nitrates=5-10 (color in between). Is it normal for the nitrites to be 0, even though there's ammonia? I know my nitrite test is working, coz my 20 gallon tested (+) for it.

I did feed my ranchu in the 10 gal tank this morning, and it's now about 10 hours after. Could it be just that it's taking time for the ammonia to convert to nitrite? Or is this like an ammonia spike?

The ammonia showing up after your water change could be that you have chloramines in your water. It should get eaten up by your cycle by the next day. Maybe you could be overfeeding.

I think it's normal not to have any nitries showing, even though you have ammonia. Have you had nitrites in the past?

Well it's the 2nd day after the last water change and params are still the same pattern, no nitrites, slight ammonia, low nitrates. Shouldn't the prime eliminated the chloramines though? And nitrites in the past...good question. I didnt keep a diary of my params while I was cycling, so I can't say. It seems like it just jumped from the 1st to 3rd step of cycling. And the nitrates levels isn't a fluke, I've tested several times now and they really are there.

I suppose it isn't really a bad thing... I'll just keep a close eye on the ammonia and make sure not to overfeed. I usually feed a light snack of bloodworms in the morning, then alternate between flakes/pellets/brine shrimp at night. Peas/fast on the weekends. Thanks Rita!

Archived