How Do Pythons Work?

gouverneurcc

Hey guys,

Not to sound like a goldfish newbie again for the 1000000000000000 time, but I know most of you guys use a python.

How exactly do they work?

When do you put Prime or whatever you use for the water?

How do you get the water to the correct temperature when using a Python?

Any help would be great. I want to make my water changes faster if possible and I am sure a Python can help.

Thanks,

Brandon

A Python works through Bernoulli's principle - producing a partial vacuum using the kinetic energy from the faucet water pressure. As the water from the faucet passes through the tube it "pulls" the water from the tank along with it. To use it, you fasten one end to the faucet and the other goes to your tank. There is an outlet in the sink. You turn on the water in the sink - and the water flowing past the hose end of the "vacumn" end draws the water from the tank and out into the sink to drain away.

If you are using a water conditioner, it is suggested that you add in the amount of conditioner prescribed for the ENTIRE tank's volume. For example, if you are changing 10 gallons of a 30 gallon tank, you would add in enough Prime for 30 gallons before you start refilling the tank with the Python.

The water that you use to fill the tank is simply water from your faucet - forced through the hose back to the tank like you would use ANY regular garden hose. Simply turn the water temperature from the facuet to the temperature you desire for your tank and fill. You can easily match temps in this fashion.

:)

Simply turn the water temperature from the facuet to the temperature you desire for your tank and fill. You can easily match temps in this fashion.

Does the python allow you to figure out the temperature of the water from your facuet?

Or how would I figure out the facuet water temperature?

Currently my tank water is room temp, so I let the water stay out to reach room temp.

The python is just the pump and doesnt tell you the water temp... a themometer typically works well for that :)

Hahaha wow I didn't even think of using a thermometer to test water temps from the faucet :rofl ...hahah how silly of me.

Any suggestions on one that is most accurate? I use the sticky thermometers for my tanks, so obviously those couldn't tell me the water temp.

Any suggestions would be great :D

Well, if you have an extra sticky thermometer that's not stuck to something, you could fill a bowl of tap water with some temperature water and hold it in. That'd work. Otherwise it shouldnt be difficult to find a modestly cheap metal or plastic thermometer at drug store, grocery store (a cooking one maybe?), etc - just make sure it goes down to room temp ranges (say, 60 and above) and doesn't kick in around 80 like a lot of human-temp thermometers would.

Archived