I Want To Breed Something.

Trico

Yes, I have 3 spare 10 gallon tanks, and I was wondering which is the easiest to get going in terms of livebirth breeding. I've already done some mollies before and get some purty dalmation ones by crossing the black and white.

Help me pick one species please? :)

if you are looking for a good live bearers i would go with guppies you could get one female and one male and watch the poulation grow, i know one member br533 started with 2 guppies one of each gender and know he has an army of guppies the same with chubbygold

A better idea would be to get two or three females for one male. It cuts down on agression and will increase the size of your army. Keep the other two ten gallons fishless and cycled so you have room to seperate the sexes when you get too many :)

Good luck.

I think guppies are the best choice, colorful, hardy, just plain fun to watch, I totally agree with Balashark, get 2 females for every 1 male, it will cut down the stress, also like he said, use the other 2 tanks, one for the fry so they have plenty of space to grow up in and one for the female , after the female is pregnant, remove her to a seperate tank (so she wont be stressed out by the male), there she will drops fry, she might has more than 1 batches of fry, so after one batch, you should be expecting a few mroe batches. She should be dropping fry after 30 days of pregnant. During that time, feed her healthy and nutrious food, it will make her drops more fry, there are guppies that had drop around 50 fry for 1 batch base on its healthy food and how old it is. Also if you want her to drop early, I think if you raise the temperature, she will drops earlier within in 20 days.

I think those breeder net are horrible, sometime your guppy will be stress out so much by it and held onto the fry and would not drop it. Do not use breeder net or anything, just add alot of live or fake plants, and floating plants, providing alot of hiding space for the fry, also if the female is stress out, turn off the tank light. You will know when she will drop, you should be expecting it around 20 - 30 days, while dropping, she wont swim around much, she will pretty much stay at the same place and if you lucky you will catch it.

For the fry, after that, do nto put the female back into the male tank yet, take out the fry, put it into the extra tank, and yoru female guppies should be dropping more fry in around 20 - 30 days. The fry, at first they wont be able to swim around much, but after a while they will, you can feed it fien crushed flakes food, int overy small pieces, also you can feed it hard boiled egg yolk, be careful not to feed to much ,it's easily cloud the water and smell very bad, also other food such as brine shrimp. Also raising the temperature in your fry tank will make your fry grow and develope faster, during this time, they will be abit bigger, then you can cull it, some might come out abit deform. Lol good luck, oh also, i think leaving the fry tank bare bottom is the best. It's fun watching them frow and develope color ^__^

Archived