Anyone Ever Try Breeding Fancy Goldfish?

Trico

Hi, I'm new and I would like to know if you guys have tried it before. Were you guys successful, as in thh future I plan to at least attempt to get some fancy babies.

Breeding goldfish is not particularly hard. Raising the fry requires fussing and a bit of work, but it is not particularly hard, either.... BUT.... getting good quality fry that are worth raising to adulthood is fairly difficult, depending on the parents you have to work with.

Crossing two unrelated show quality, matched fancies may produce 1000s of fry. Of those, only a few will be worth keeping. I bred over 4000 fancy broadtail Ryukin fry last summer. Of those 4000 some odd fish, only 4 are worth keeping and growing out for show. Approximately 100 fry - from my LionheadXLionhead and RAnchuXRanchu and RyukinXRyukin breedings were worthy of being sold to a fish store for about $2 @. The rest were culled.

It is said you will get about 1 in 100 worth growing out..... about 1 in 1000 that is show worthy.... and about 1 in 10000 that is a winner.

It is a great pursuit, but it takes great patience, time, and a whole lotta luck. If you happen upon a cross of parents that produces a good percentage of viable fry, that is one to stick with!!! I am going to cross back my fry this year - back to the show parents - in hopes of stablizing the genetic line a bit more - and in hopes that I can get a more substantial number of good fry from a spawning.

Hello!

I enjoy raising goldfish quite a bit, but it is for pleasure - so I don't raise a ton and I never cull any fish for aesthetic purposes. But it is true that most of the babies have little deformities. Like crooked mouths and kinked tails or totally malformed fins. Some of these "messed up" fish can be pretty endearing though. I currently have a few with wonky mouths, it is really cute when they eat. I let the fry grow on their own/wild in a small pond so only a couple survive each year. Every once in a while I raise fry in tanks, and currently have *one* fancy fry who is about five months old. It has a bad tail even though the parents were gorgeous.

I don't know if it is coincidence or not (hopefully someone can comment), but my common/single-tail goldfish fry rarely have deformities whereas my fancy goldfish fry almost always have deformities. Survival of the fittest I suppose, fancies aren't really, um, well evolved - - haha.

I agree. I'm sure the fry from 2 single tail parents will have less chance of deviations from the standard simply because of the amount of genetic variations fancy fish have been through to arrive at what they are and therefore the amount of genetic crossover and mismatching is sure to be much greater. I have however had a few very nice little perfectly formed black moors from 2 telescope eye parents, but I also had many that were missing fins and had other small differences. Beauty in the end is in the eye of the beholder or owner :D

Archived