What To Put In My Tank...?

Fish_Fanatic

I now have an empty 14 gallon. I don't know what to put in it. I think I've narrowed down my options though.

Theres this peacock cichlid I've had my eye on for a long time. Could he fit in a 14 gallon?

What other fish can go in there? Would a butterfly pleco do well with him?

I also am thinking about some red tailed tinfoil barbs (so adorable!!) Could they fit in a 14 gallon? If so, how many? and what other kind of fish can go with them?

:krazy: I dont know what i should do!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't advise tinfoil barbs for such a small tank. Those guys can get 12" or more....I had some a long time ago and they grew fast. They are very active and need lots of swimming room....in other words, a large tank.

I am not familiar with the cichlid...maybe try googling them and see what you find? :)

I agree, no tinfoil barbs, because they'd get too big.

This website (http://fish.mongabay.com/peacock_cichlids.htm) says that peacock cichlids need 45-55 gallons.... so that may rule that out.

Maybe try another kind of cichlid or barb?

There aren't very many cichlids you can fit in a 14 gallon tank, but there definitely are some if you do a little research. Off the top of my head, two convicts OR two firemouths OR three rams OR two jewel cichlids OR three kribensis. Or you could get a pair of brichardis, they're small, but mean as all get out. All of those suggestions would probably do better as species only tanks, and would require regular tank maintenance and lots of cave/rock decor to break up the tank.

Everyone else is right on the barbs, prolly get too big too quick for a 14 gallon.

Archived