Finally!

Fish_Fanatic

Yesterday my boyfriend came to visit me at work. I finished my shift and we decided to take a trip to Big Al's fish store just to take a look. A few hours later, we walk out with a 75 gallon for his lizard, and a new 38 gallon for my goldies. My poor fishies have been in a 14 gallon tank because I couldn't afford anything bigger (thank goodness for christmas money!! hahaha). So now I'm down about $350 but it was a pretty good deal. I got the tank, stand, hood, light, filter, heater and a few other little things. So now I have this huge dilema of where to put it. It has to be in my room but I want to keep my 14 gallon running.

Okay here's a question. I want to put some fish in my 14 gallon. How many gallons do Tinfoil Barbs need? Or should i get this cichlid that I've had my eye on forever? I don't know how much room those guys need............ hmmmm i guess i'll figure it out eventually!!!

I'm so excited to get this new tank set up!!!

I think that tinfoil barbs get awfully big, like up to 14 inches.... so that may not be the best for a 15 gallon tank.

I would figure out what species the cichlid you want is, then do some research on that specific fish. badmanstropicalfish.com and www.aquaticcommunity.com are good starting points. Just typing in the kind of fish you want to know about into a google search engine usually gets good results, too.

Gosh, if that were me, I be putting my goldfish in the boyfriends 75 gallon tank, and letting him have the 38 for his lizard, LOL..... Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine just had a great article on what to put in a ten gallon aquarium. You should definitely read the article. There is a dwarf species of cichlid mentioned in the article. I believe it was Neolamprologus brevis -- a cute little shell dwelling cichlid. It said a pair of them would do well in a 10 gallon, so you'd be good with them in a 14. Stay away from the tin-foil barbs. They get HUGE.

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/current-issue/

I think you have to sign up for the site to see the whole article, but it's easy. OR just go out and get the current issue of the mag.

Personally, I like Rams. You could do a pair of gold or blue rams in a 14 if it were planted heavily. Include some dwarf catfish, and you'd have a nice set up. OR maybe you would like a pair of honey gouramis and a little group of otos, perhaps five in a planted tank with the pair of gouramis. The little pygmy cories stay under 1.5 inches and are adorable...... Tetras are nice. I've had a nice little school of the serpae tetras in my 12 gallon tank for years. If you want to go the livebearer route you could do platties (I LOVE the blue ones), or guppies. Just be prepared for a lot of offspring, LOL... Which means another tank to raise the fry in :unsure:

Wow, Gardengirl that article is awesome!! Thanks so much!!

hmmmmm i dunno if i would be able to set up this tank any time soon though (my parents arent a big fan of animals....) so it will probably take some time to convince them to let me have two tanks set up

Honestly, I don't recommend putting anything with Pelcos. But then again, other people in here may know some things. Someone told me that they eat other fish and suck the good slime off of fish. I bought a few tiny ones once... One of my goldfish turned around and killed one of them. I had put two in a tank and they were sucking on my goldfish! I caught them! Then I had to leave for a few hours, I come home and one of those pelcos was dead. I was like "That's what you get foo!" and I returned them to the store and said "These guys not only suck... but they really do suck and I don't want them".

And usually its with large goldfish that you have to worry. Most of the tropicals you get in petstores are quick enough not to get caught. Common plecos are usually fine to keep in tropical community tanks. Actually you've got more to worry about with agression towards the pleco than from it if you pick overly agressive tankmates.

Archived