Suggestions On Diy Tank Setup

Guest dmartins

Guest dmartins

hello all,

i have decided to build my own tank to fit in the space i want it (a built-in shelf in my wall). i looked online for some DIY resources and it does not seem like a tough job and i am handy. i have a couple of questions:

1. does a GF tank really need a cover/lid? the lighting will be built into the ceiling of the shelf (approx. 7-8" above the tank). this tank will not be out in the open, but rather built "into" the wall shelf and nothing can fall in from above. do/can GF jump out?

2. would installing a drain tap in the bottom corner be a good idea or is it likely to cause leakage issues?

thanks!

hi dmartins

while i have never built a tank i can lend my advice.

Goldfish do not need a cover many people use those UFO lights for goldfish tanks you know the ones with legs which stand on the top of the tank, to use these you pretty much have to loose the lid. what type of lighting will you be using metal halide, power compact or just fluorescent lights. if you are building a big tank and there will be plants i would go with power compact or the metal halides. If you are just gunna have fish only i would go with ordinary fluorescent lights or the power compact. if you go down the plant road the recommended wattage is 2-3 watts per gallon.

While i have never heard of goldfish jumping it does not mean it is not possible but many people including myself keep lidless goldie tanks with no mishaps.

The drain is going to be a real nuisance i would not bother with it. There are possibilities it will leak as it will be hard to remove it from glass and re install to make it water tight every water change. If you have a good gravel vac or a python there is no point for a drain. So to sum it up the drain would be more a hassle than a helper and i would not bother with it.

Hope this helps

Guest dmartins

thanks dan,

you confirmed what I was thinking. i will not be using a planted tank, so regular fluorescent will suffice. I will try to get the highest power ballast that i can find though.

when i start the project, i will post some pics as i anticipate the finshed product to look really good. i need to do some researching and gather the required materials first.

thanks!

that is okay :) i think maybe a power compact lighting strip would be better than fluorescent bulbs only as you have the advantage to switch to plants later on, and fluorescent bulbs only go up to 40watts. here is a link to big als these are some good compact fluorescent while they cost a little bit more i think they are worth it. just have a browse linky

Archived