Treating An Entire Tank

stubadub

is it ok to treat the whole tank with myracyn if you do not have a hospital tank. My fish that was stuck at the bottom is now stuck at the top. I have stabilized the water in my tank but my fish is getting worse. I need to know if this is ok. If it is not ok for the other fish, can you start a hospital tank and treat the fish at the same time.

I agree with Mads - you definately need to provide us with more information if we are to help give an adequate diagnosis.

That said - yes, it is actually ideal to treat the whole tank - if you truly have a bacterial infection in the tank then it needs to be erradicated.

Fish bottom sitting and surface hanging may or may not be signs of a bacterial infection, though.

Sorry for the info on this but I have posted this problem in another post and did not transfer the info over.

ph is 7.6

chlorine is 0 ppm

nitrite is 0ppm

nitrate is at 16 ppm

amonia is at 0 ppm

44 gallon tank running two years

Water change when my nitrate levels hit 20 ppm ( about 2 times a week )

3 fish in the tank ( bodies are 3inches in lenth 2years of age)

no medications

Use amquel

feed flake food, peas, bloodworms

Fish is stuck at the top

A little history is. I had a nitrate spike in my water ( daryl actually helped me with that). I have managed my water for the past month and have kept the nitrates under 20 ppm. My fish started stuck on the bottom of the tank and is now stuck floating at the top. I have followed the steps that have been outlined via the forum and am moving on to treating the tank for possible parasite and bacteria infections. My question is simply to see if I can treat the entire tank for this. I do not have a hospital tank. I know to set one up is going to take sometime and i am afraid that i do not have that amount of time. If you can point me in the direction of what to do it would be greatly appreciated.

I think that I would hit the entire tank with a good parasitic treatment...... Do you have a substrate?

Sometimes fish that are carrying a load of parasites will show these symptoms and you can greatly improve their quality of life by erradicating the parasites. Since many parasites have a life stage that is OFF the fish, you may need to treat the entire tank. The easiest treatments do not affect a robust cycle - and should not cause a bump in your cycle.

If you do not have a microscope at your disposal to help you identify a problem, I think my next suggestion would be to treat the tank with Prazi. This is a gentle parasitic agent that treats a wide spectrum of parasites - not all of them by any means, but enough of them to make it a good choice for first strike. If you are dealing with some particular types of parasites, you may need multiple treatments. Sometimes the life cycle makes parasites impervious to medications at times, so you may need to hit them again and again. Also, sometimes it takes a while for the fish to respond. I have had fish that have had heavy loads of flukes killed nicely - but the fish do not appear healthy for at least 2 weeks post erradication.

If this does not appear to help a bit, giving it time to work and for the fish to recover a bit , then that would be the time to take further steps - possibly an antibiotic treatment. Of course, if the fish get worse, then you need to react sooner.

IT is never a bad idea to treat an entire tank - but it can be expensive, depending on the tank's size.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the help with my problem. My fish is doing better but not 100% yet. My fish started out completely upside down and unable to get away from the top of the tank and now he is a little sidaways and spends sometime not floating at the top. I think with some more time the fish should improve.

Guest Chicklette

It sounds to me like he has swim bladder and needs to be treated for that. The bottom sitting is not normal. They only sit at the bottom for shrot periods. Is your goldie spinning at all?

Guest Chicklette

It sounds to me like he has swim bladder and needs to be treated for that if in fact that it is swim bladder. Is your goldie floating to the top of the tank? Have trouble balancing? If they start tp sink this is the second level of swim bladder meaning it is getting worse.

Befor treating I would wait to see other peoples suggestions but I really do think it's swim bladder.

To treat for swim bladder feed your fish a few peas each day, make sure pre soak their food.

You will have to NOT FEED your goldfish for three days - or longer - and only start with live food after she regains some mobility. Not feeding is very difficult, but you have to be cruel here, to be kind. Stuffing more food into the intestinal blockage only makes things worse.

The bottom sitting is not normal. They only sit at the bottom for shrot periods.

Archived