Not Your Average Koi Pond

disaster999

koi farm, the pond is 4000 tonnes. theres around 150+ fish in there. trying to breed the best quality koi.

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

fish being caught

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

holding tank

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

fish being tossed around

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

after all the sorting, less than 10% will be kept to see if they are indeed show quality. the rest will go to the local fish shops to sell.

Edited by disaster999

hmm i justed posted where did it go the board must be hungry again :lol

lol alex :) can you see anything from the top or is it just a big brown mess from the natural mud?

couldnt do much about tossing the fish. they had to get the fish out of that small bucket into a bigger tank with air stones. plus they need to make another trip to gather up the remaining fish left in the pond which is pretty much mud water. they might loose more fish by taking their time babying the fish than stressing them a little by tossing them.

ive seen worse. at least this far uses the best water ive seen. all the people who run the place have over 20 years of experience each and take extreme care of their fish. to me the fish are living in heaven.

Nice pics and I could be wrong but I think I've seen this mudpond in pictures from past years. Is it located in asia somewhere?

From the pics it looks like they are growing some top notch gosanke. Do you have any better pics of fish nisai, sansai, or older. Maybe some info on the parent stock.

Again thanks for the pics and I am sure those fish were raised with great care so no need to worry about them being tossed into the holding tanks. These are definately not your typical nnnn and wallyworld koi.

this farm belongs to my dad's friend. its located in hong kong. most fish farm in hong kong looks the same. ive been to another one where it doesnt look much different. i honestly dont know the specific name if the koi. but the main ones are red and white, tri color (red white black) gold. i do have some close ups of show quality koi my dad and his friends owns. i will dig those up and post it up later.

these are not your average local mega mart koi. they are bread for show quality. take 2 retired show quality koi, make babies and sift out the best. thats pretty much the extend of my knowledge on the parent koi.

Guest Ethan25
Holy cow, what a filter!! How tall is that thing? About 10 ft high? :thud

most likely at least 6 feet. It's called a trickle tower.

a great koi pond filter. Gets rid of harmful nitrates. I wish I had room for a small one for my pond.