Euthanize?

dfernandez77

My Betta Zhao Yun is in bad shape.

The tumor he has in his body is nearly as big as his head.

The largest point in his body is where his sides bulge out from the tumor.

Even though he's in light green-water with perfect zeros, his fins have wasted away all raggedy to less than a 1/4 of what they were.

He's lost color and translucency in his flesh. You can see right through the top of his head to his brain and brain stem.

The tumor has displaced his swim bladder, so now he sinks directly to the bottom. Unless he is lying in the leafs of his favorite plant.

He's been having a hard time eating because he has to fight to get to the top.

Yesterday he only got one bit of food - he tried three times to get it, then sank to the bottom. He had no energy to eat more until later in the day.

I don't know if he is in pain from the tumor, if I knew he was in pain it would be an easy decision.

I don't know when it's best to help him go.

Anybody have thoughts to share?

Oh dear... so terrible....

Of course the decision is yours, but I can't stand the sight of sick fish...

If they have trouble eating and swimming, I think they are suffering,

they can't live the life they are meant to...

But as I said, it's up to you.

He's been having a hard time eating because he has to fight to get to the top.

Yesterday he only got one bit of food - he tried three times to get it, then sank to the bottom. He had no energy to eat more until later in the day.

Daniel I know this is a very difficult decision, one that no pet owner wants to make. :(

I feel that as long a he is still attempting to eat, which he is, he still has the will to live. Once a fish totally refuses to eat, then it is time. That is my opinion.

I have a fish who can't swim but other than that is fine, I keep her in a seperate area of the tank and hand feed her. I'm fairly confident she's in no pain and still 'enjoys' life. Your poor fish, however, does not sound good at all. The two fish I've euthanized in the past sounded much the same, not only did they have swimming problems but issues with sores, split/rotted fins as well. As others have said, the decision is yours, but it does sound like your poor fish is suffering and won't recover :(

This is a hard decision because the "right" decision is so subjective.

I remember when my family had a discussion with doctors about my father that ended with a decision to stop the medical intervention that was keeping his body barely functioning. It was hard to keep some people focused on sharing their thoughts and understanding and accepting others thoughts even if they didn't agree.

In my mind there's a big difference between talking about medical decisions for a father and euthanizing a cherished Betta. But some of the same sensitivities are raised.

Thanks guys. I'm not going to make any judgments here, and I hope nobody else does. And I hope nobody argues with someone else's thoughts on the issue.

I think the decision is very personal. I really just wanted to hear other people's thoughts.

As others have said, the decision is yours, but it does sound like your poor fish is suffering and won't recover :(

No he will not recover. He gets a tiny bit progressively worse daily. :unsure:

I made my decision based on quality of life. My fish could not swim properly and spent their days either on the bottom of the tank or floating helplessly at the surface. They both looked great and could eat, but were no longer able to function as fish. They had lost the desire to fight too. Beebee got tired of trying to swim down and just floated, Mardi got tired of trying to move and just lay there on the bottom. They know when to stop. We don't.

Wow I am so sorry Dan. I went through\ this with my two Thai bettas. Suchin lived with it for a couple months and got progressively sluggish and worse and died. Sunti got a tumor on his lower abdomen and slowly died but acted normal till the end. It Is a hard decision, but I know if I Knew they were suffering I might euthinize them to keep them from suffering. It is a tough decision. I came close to euthanizing Suchin. I am so sorry Dan I know how much Your little guy means to you . He is do pretty

Am so sorry to hear this Daniel my Ragman had to be euthanized last year he had a tumor too. I kept him comfy till it was obvious that it was time to let go. Unfortunately Daniel only you know when its time to let go. Am sure you will do whats best no matter how hard it is. I know it broke my heart to euthanize Ragman but it was best for him.

Again am so sorry about this he is a beautiful Betta.

I'm very sorry Daniel. :( I know this is hard on you. I'm not going to tell you what to do, or even what I would do in this situation. I just hope that whatever you decide, you can feel good about what the decision you make is, you know? I agree that sometimes our animals tell us when they want to go, other times, they make it very hard to decide for them. Whatever you decide, I know it will be what is right for your betta. How old is he?

Archived