Another Black Algae Complaint

Lolafish

On further research, this stuff seems to thrive in high PH, high Nitrate, and high phosphate environments. All my plants are developing this quickly recently. I hear it can spread to the rest of the aquarium. I'm wondering if I should just take the darned things out, since eventually it will kill all the plants anyway. I've heard even treating the plants with bleach/water solutions over a week, it only kills the algae temporarily. How is that even possible? I assume it is brought in on a new plant, since it didn't start in my tank until I added a couple new plants. Darn it! These plants were expensive. :cry1

I have it on the gravel in my new tank.

I'm going to get a gravel vacuum to get as much stuff out of the gravel as possible.

Then turn the gravel over and cut back on the lights.

Does switching the a bare bottom help get rid of it?

Then turn the gravel over and cut back on the lights.Does switching the a bare bottom help get rid of it?
How much lighting do you have? I have low lighting in this tank, so there's no cutting back. I'm actually trying to save up for stronger lights. My tank is bare bottomed, so that doesn't help either. I didn't even know it would attach to gravel. Are you sure your's isn't brown algae?
Humm not sure how to get rid of it, since I have it to. I dont know if this will work but maybe a pp treatment??
I treat all my incoming plants with PP, so guess not. :(

Well I just took out the majority of my plants this morning. I left the 2 amazon swords since they are void of algae and doing great with the occasional bite from a goldie, and I left 3 grass types which are growing well, despite being attacked regularly by Shinobi...even though it has the beginning stages of black algae. Good thing I took out the rest though. Underneath, they were rotting away and covered in black algae. Nasty! Not gonna replace those until I have better lighting.

My tank suffers with black algae! Its a pain, I am forever cleaning the glass from it. Now it is at the bottom of my tank, where the glass joins, and I cant get to that as I am afraid of slicing the sealant.

I get it on my plants, but I am able to cut back the leaves that get it as my plants are a little wild! My anubia gets most of it, so I cut the leaves back, which seems to help it as the new ones can come through better.

I have asked before on about being able to get rid of it, and noone knew of a way other than keep removing it when you see it. I removed a lot about 2 weeks ago from the back glass, and it hasnt come back yet, touch wood!

I had to cut my Java Fern right back today as the goldies had nibbled the leaves and what was left was just black algae clinging on, plus there was new growth.

Hope it improves for you as I know how annoying it is.

Perhaps the introduction of a UV sterilizer might help? I'm not sure.

SnBmeg is a great authority on planted tanks and could probably advise on this issue. Maybe a PM to her might be a good idea?

I've tried planting my tank quite a few times and have always found algae growth on their leaves to become a problem. I know that low level lighting and a high phosphate load doesn't help. Until I can get myself some T5's and a better CO2 unit, I've decided to stick with artificial plants. I've found some which look very life-like and can be washed whenever they start to look discoloured.

It's such a shame when you've spent a lot on nice plants to see them ruined like that. :cry1

I have a UV and it helps control other algae, but doesnt do anything for the Black stuff! I also have T5s! I do have high phosphates in my water though, so this could be part of the problem. My plants seem to be doing well despite the intrusion. The Cabomba is doing very well, I have to trim it every 2 weeks as it gets out of hand!

It only seems to like certain plants. Mainly anaubias in my tank.

I used to have artificial plants, silk, in my tank, but I love live plants too much! I just try to keep it to minimum, as I say scraping it off when I see it.

I found some info on the web:

It cannot easily be removed mechanically. Remove and discard the affected leaves. Equipment can be soaked in a 25% bleach solution, then scrubbed to remove the dead algae. Siamese Algae Eaters (Epalzeorhynchos siamensis) are known to eat this algae and can keep it in check. Algae Eating shrimp to a lesser extent, also keep this algae in check. A more drastic measure is treatment with copper. (http://www.floridadriftwood.com/algae_identification.html)

The most likely reason for red algae is introduction of contaminated plants or a bag of fish from a store tank with red algae, (Black algae)(http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/red-algae.html). The website also suggest that affected plants can be soaked for 3 minutes ( 2 minutes for sensitive plants) in a bleach solution (1 part bleach to 19 parts water). Gently stir the water. Immediately rinse in clean water, and the algae will start to come off. It wars that some plants will lose their leaves, but will soon recover. The site has a lot of good information about the algae, although it is from 1996!

I think I may have found part of my problem, low pH. Might have to consider something to up it.

My tank has the discusting stuff too. I never had it until i bought a fish at nnnn >.> Luckily, my fish seem to love the stuff, so it never gets a chance to grow really big.

• Admin

claire_uk

you know u might be on to something there w the ph being low, cause "Lolafish" and i have been fighting low ph levels for a while.....interesting, I might have to do some research on that.... :D

i found out if you spot dose the plants that have black algae with flourish excel over several days it should go away. but the best way is too remove the infected leaf or plant

I too am going to luck in to low ph and algae growth. Is adding crushed coral the best way to raise Ph and keep it stable? Mine stands at 6.8, what does yours sit at?

It is a pain, although I did see one of my fish, Bluey, eating some of the tufts last night. I sat there and was like what are you doing you silly fish, then realised she was eating the tufts where the glass joins! (only in her sleeping area mind!)

We might have a cure for this disgusting looking algae, lets hope so.

• Admin

well i added crushed coral and the wonder shell to the tank got the ph from 6.8 to 7.0 the kh is now at 130 was at 60 so it helped out alot. :D i keep the coral in the tank like a sand box hehe

well i added crushed coral and the wonder shell to the tank

I keep meaning to buy the wonder shell. Where do you get your crushed coral from?

I am using buffers to keep my PH at 7.8-7.9 now. It doesn't move if I check it daily, but I am doing daily WC's too, so can add only what I need to keep it stable. I don't want to have to work so hard though. But my PH was already that high before this parcticular plant with black algae came into my tank. I'm sure high phosphates are a culprit...I definately have that, since I also have a problem with brown algae. But today, I put my lighting system for my 125 over the 55, so I have 260 watts over it now. That should get rid of the brown algae. Maybe green will finally show up!

• Admin

I get mine at a SW store, get the dried stuff, mine has 10-20 pound bags, i get the 10 and make a sand box :D

Oh and to help w brown algae there is a product that will help absorb it is called Phos-sorb comes in a plastic jar, i believe its reusable and you can put it in a slot in the HOB filter, I get one once a year to clean the tank up of that nasty stuff :D

Koko, where do you find the Phos-sorb? I swear that nasty brown algae drives me nutso! My tank is barebottom except for some marbles and it even gets on them! And what can you use to remove it from silk plants thats not too harsh to rinse off before you put it back in the tank?

• 4 months later...
Guest addicted2clownfish

I know this is an older topic but it would seem that all these true algae's do seem to feed off of the phosphates I use ro/di water I dont know what your phostphates are in your area but if they are high then the algae is going to have a banquet as that is what it seems to feed off of that and the other stuff in the tank such as nitrates ect but the ro/di water should help get rid of it filters out everything that is harmful and can cause those nasty algae's to thrive

you can actually buy Reverse Osmosis water per gallon at a lfs that deals with sw or you can purchase a whole system for like 100 and I tell ya that 100 you spend it will be well worth it in the long run

Archived