Too Much Current?

Earth!Mother

My baby pearlscale does not seem to like the adittion of the new bubble wall I added, and dug into the gravel. D: He swims around, gets swept across the tank to the other side where the filter is, and then swims to the bottom quickly and nibbles around that area trying to avoid the midwater current as well as the filter. He likes the front of the tank, where it bows out, and there he chills too. Athena, my ryukin loves the currents and filter in her tank. >_> Perhaps this is because she is a stronger swimmer? I'm wondering if he is just too young and small for a lot of current. And when I say small, I do mean SMALL. He is absolutely tiny... and fat.

I'd leave the bubble wall in the tank a little longer and see what happens. Is there any way to turn the flow down on your air pump? A smaller current may help the little pearly gain her strength.

The "Seven Dwarfs" I have in the big 75 gallon grow-out tank LOVE to get in the current from the bubble wall. They swim really hard against the current then let the current take them to the top of the tank and then they swim to the bottom to do it all over again. LOL, silly fish. It must be like riding a roller coaster for them -- they're always so happy to swim back to the bottom to do it again. LOL.

A fish breeder once told me that rapid water movement in the tank is good for goldfish. It strengthens them and gives them exercise, but I like to be sure there are a few still spots in the tank for them to rest too. My big calico likes to "sleep" in the corner of the show tank where the water is still at night.

My littleTaco has the same problem but he's a tough little fishie I think he'll get used to it. My 125 gallon tank has really strong current, I wonder what a pearlie would look like in there! Frodo LOVES bubbles so he will really like the new tank. Taco loves them too!

My littleTaco has the same problem but he's a tough little fishie I think he'll get used to it. My 125 gallon tank has really strong current, I wonder what a pearlie would look like in there! Frodo LOVES bubbles so he will really like the new tank. Taco loves them too!

SHamu! I forgot, did you set up yoru 125 gal yet?! Post picture soon!

Brandon: There is an Emperor 280 on there and an established Whisper 20 on there. The whisper is only there because I don't feel like transfering the media, and it is only temp. Once the tank is cycled I'll get an emperor 400, leave the 280 on and just have both filters running. Extra filtration can't hurt. >_>

The bubblewall is against the back of the tank, farthest from the filter. The 280 is on the highest splash setting so that it will create more surface agitation. The little guy seems to be getting used to it but still hides half the time. I'm wondering if it is just going to take him some time to get used to the change. He is the only one in the 40 gallon right now, other than 3 big mystery snails.

Shamu: My Ryukin love the current on her tank. She does the same thing as GardenGirl described her fish doing. XD

Archived