Moby Losing Scales

vickielm

Moby, my fantail, lost a few scales when he went through the ammonia burn after the cosmetic lesion showed up on his back. Now it looks like he's lost a few recently, and it looks like a small lesion is starting on the side of his back unless I'm seeing things.

He is fine, perky, active, and generally himself and so is Florence. I don't know if I should worry or not, but I'm going to try to post a pic so you can see for yourself.

Ammonia-0, Nitrites-0, Nitrates-20-40,GH-150,KH-120,PH-7.8.

30 gallon, 2 large Whisper filters that I forget how much, but both are made for 30 gallon tanks, no new fish, Prime is water additive, no unusual findings such as grains of salt or red streaks, no bottom sitting. WCs are 30-40% once a week. 2 fish in the tank and its been running and cycled for 3 months.

post-14029-1198936540.jpg

Do you think there are ny sharp objects in your tank, is the other goldfish aggressive?

I would treat it with medication to heal wounds like melafix but wait until a mod get here I hope he will get better soon and completely heal

Poor Moby!!! And poor Vickie!! Things are going smoothly, and now this. Tell him to hold tighter to those scales so he'll stop dropping them!

Were the previous lesions caused by the ammonia? Do they look the same? How did you treat them the last time? These aren't diagnostic questions... just nosy ones. I'm curious to know if ammonia can cause lesions as well as burns..? :idont

I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about. I know you'll be worried until a mod or helper comes along. You're a great fish Mom. :exactly

He certainly is a beautiful fish! He looks like he's shimmering! What a wonderful gold coloring. You must wash him regularly. ;):D

Good luck, Sweety! Be sure to keep us posted!! :hug

Debs :heart

No chubbygold, there is nothing sharp in the tank at all. I've seen Moby and Florence chase each other occasionally, but never noticed any aggressiveness. And don't worry, I won't use anything until someone tells me I should.

Debbie, I don't know what caused the lesion on his back. Thats how I came to be here. I described it to the lady at the lfs and she said it was fungus. Not to go into the whole story again, the treatment almost killed him and I came here for help. Trinket diagnosed it as a cosmetic lesion that goldfish get sometimes, possibly from the poor water quality and overcrowded tank that he endured for so long before I knew better. :( The few missing scales didn't show up until after the ammonia burns healed but he was completely and totally black with them all over his body. It took 3 weeks for him to heal. We decided to get him into a bigger tank and pristine water and leave it alone, so I have used no meds on him at all. And thanks, he is a beautiful boy! :)

One more thing that I might mention...there is no gravel in the tank, only marble, glass rounds, and river rocks, but on the white rocks I have noticed a lot of that nasty brown algae. Maybe I should take them out? I'm getting ready to redo the tank anyway but wondered if this would cause a problem. I've watched them for a few hours and they both seem perfectly fine...no aggressiveness or fighting...and Moby is more aggressive towards food than Florence is anyway.

No chubbygold, there is nothing sharp in the tank at all. I've seen Moby and Florence chase each other occasionally, but never noticed any aggressiveness. And don't worry, I won't use anything until someone tells me I should.

Debbie, I don't know what caused the lesion on his back. Thats how I came to be here. I described it to the lady at the lfs and she said it was fungus. Not to go into the whole story again, the treatment almost killed him and I came here for help. Trinket diagnosed it as a cosmetic lesion that goldfish get sometimes, possibly from the poor water quality and overcrowded tank that he endured for so long before I knew better. :( The few missing scales didn't show up until after the ammonia burns healed but he was completely and totally black with them all over his body. It took 3 weeks for him to heal. We decided to get him into a bigger tank and pristine water and leave it alone, so I have used no meds on him at all. And thanks, he is a beautiful boy! :)

One more thing that I might mention...there is no gravel in the tank, only marble, glass rounds, and river rocks, but on the white rocks I have noticed a lot of that nasty brown algae. Maybe I should take them out? I'm getting ready to redo the tank anyway but wondered if this would cause a problem. I've watched them for a few hours and they both seem perfectly fine...no aggressiveness or fighting...and Moby is more aggressive towards food than Florence is anyway.

Oh gosh never get advice from those people at the LFS, they dont even know what they are talking about at time, 3 years ago. I almost kill a whole bunch of my tropical fishes by some stupid advice I got from them. Is he still active, those the spot where the scale is missing get any weird or strange thing appear like fuzzy white things? Does the filters push the fish around alot?

Hi Vicks. I'm sorry to hear Moby has more scales missing. If it is just scales missing you don't really need to do anything but plenty of water changes to keep his water really fresh while those heal up naturally. However, if its a growth (and I cant really see in the pic, my bad eyes) then you can do something more for him. You say 'lesion' -does the lesion look like its grown up out of the missing scales as a raised hard lump? More like the viral type lesion he had before? Or does it look like a cottony fluffy piece thats attached to the scales?

At this point I would do two things -regardless of which description fits. Get rid of that brown algae definitely, just because it can harbor extra bacteria that you really dont want when the fish has open wounds or missing scales. I would do quite a thorough clean up in fact. Dont forget to wipe the bottom and sides of the tank squeeky clean, leaving one side at the back if you want for your green algae. Leave the fiter today and rinse that a different day, perhaps in another 2 or 3 days.

And then...how do you feel about doing a swab/topical application? Much as I suggested to uberleslie its a very good trick to learn to do and it is an immediate help rather than water meds that take time to take effect and mess with biofilter and natural immunity.You dont want to be medicating your tank with Florence in there and anyway this doesn't warrant much worry at this point because Moby seems fine and is eating and acting normally. These missing scales happen and when the top few skin layers (including scales) are removed there are no antibodies in that spot to get to work on any bacteria in the water-of which there are plenty all the time even in the best kept tanks.

So it makes sense to speed up the healing process with a quick topical application of disinfectant type medication like hp or iodine ...for this that zaps all surface bacteria -& put Moby straight back into a full 90% water changed clean tank where bacterial count is low, to heal up.

He will.

How I feel about a topical application is irrelevant to how Moby will feel about it, lol. There is no cottony growth, no red, no ulcer. It looks like a very small version of the viral lesion that he has on his back. It hasn't grown out of the missing scales. I wish I could get a better pic, but the camera seems to annoy His Highness.

I will get rid of the rocks. I tried cleaning them and 2 weeks later they looked just as bad as before, and I'm afraid to use anything very harsh on them and put them back in the tank, so I will get them out today and do a thorough cleaning.

He's a fussy boy, Imogen, and I'm just afraid that taking him out of the tank will stress us both out so badly that one of us will keel over. Why don't I try a good cleaning first, including the impeller and all of the intakes on the filters and see how he does? If you don't think its anything major, then maybe we can try that and see. Right now he is his regular chubby, happy self with his face always pressed against the glass for food and I hate to mess with that.

And the filters don't push him around at all. He would dare them to try.

Do you think that'll be ok for now?

Another thing, Imogen, the place that looks like a wart has never gone away on his back. You can probably see it pretty well in the pic. But it has never turned color or gotten bigger...although HE has, lol! :feedme

I don't have anyone here to help me if he gets rowdy when I get him out, and thats the only reason I'd like to hold that for a last resort. I'd ask my daughter-in-law, but she is 8 months preggers and her allergies have her banned from my house until after the baby is born, due to my cat. Sigh.

And thanks for the quick response and advice! :yeah:

Yes, it is probably enough for now. Knowing you as a responsible owner its okay for me to say that here. If this is a viral thing -that he has the spot appearing may just mean something in the tank needs attention. Maybe it is those rocks. When a fish is carrying a virus the virus pops back up at any point when the fish is stressed. There is no cure for the viral type lesions except to reduce the stressors to keep them at bay.

Keep an eye on its growthif any, over the next few days and let us know. Good wishes to you both :)

Archived