Fossilized Coral Rock

kittyfiends

Hi All,

Has anyone used "Fossilized coral rock" to keep the ph up? Looks more easy then the crushed coral. That stuff is so messy. I saw this rock at pee smart in the store. It said for hard water animals.

When something is "fossilized" that usually means that the original "matter" has been replaced with a stone type. BUT.... I have no idea what the coral "replacement" qualities would be. I EXPECT, that if it is being sold for pH enhancement, it most likely is a substance that would have the qualities you are looking for. Is there any way you can test it - soak it and test the pH before and after.....

• Admin

I have tried this, it works but not as well as the crushed version, What I have done to my tank since it has a low ph right now . Is I got big crushed coral and placed it on one side of the tank like gravel, placed a plastic (aquarium safe) strip to hold in in a little area, kinda like a kitty litter box :lol

My tap water registers at 8, most of the time. The next day it drops to 7.5, and stays there. My tanks always register at 7.5. I put crushed coral in my rena xp3 and it really clouded up the water for a day. Now it is ok. But it really didn't do anything to the ph. It's still 7.5. Isn't better to have a higher ph? Also how long is this crushed coral effective, maybe i need a whole lot more for this stuff to do anything?

I just tested the water in both my tanks.

Both tanks contain 2 fish

The 55g with crushed coral in 2 of the 3 filters is:

Ph7.5 KH 89.5 GH 125.3 amm0 nitrIte0 Nitrate0 78degrees

The 29g no crushed coral:

Ph 7.5 KH 71.6 Gh 89.5 amm0 NitrIte0 Nitrate0 78degrees

Tap water ph 8 kh 89.5 Gh 107.4 ammo 0.5 Nitrite0 Nitrate0

So I guess this is doing something to the kh and gh just not the ph yet.

Maybe I need more?

So I guess this is doing something to the kh and gh just not the ph yet.

Maybe I need more?

My 55 needed the whole tank bottom covered in a couple inches or so to get it to work, anything in any smaller amount does nothing for me. But that conclusion would make sense. Just don't know how much more you need..you'll have to experiment.

Archived