Bettas And Goldfish

CometSue

I saw a topic on here about putting a betta in with goldfish.It reminded me of when i was 7 and I put my betta in with my gouramis.This will come to a suprise to most but it's actually not they betta you have to worry about hurting the other fish.lol.In 89% of the cases I've seen it was the other fish harrassing the betta.The truth of the matter is,The beautiful long finned colorful bettas you see in the cups,are not your evil fighting fish but Betta Splendens(they do very well with tetras btw lol)Theyre pretty docile and will not fight each other if you give them a proper aquirium,with enough space to declare territory.In general, females are quite peaceful, and males are only aggressive towards other males of the same species (they may even fight to death) and sometimes to fish that look like them, such as dwarf gouramies and paradise fish.they make excellent fish for peaceful community tanks, as long as it's well planted, good-sized tank and you keep just one male and/or any number of females. In the community tank, it's the Betta who usually suffers from the harassment of other more active species, such as tiger barbs, zebra danios, serpae tetras and others, who can tear off his long fins and force him to cower in a corner, even kill him. He also becomes an easy snack for fish large enough to gulp him into their mouths, since he's a slow swimmer, so I emphasize that he's good only for very peaceful communities.In general just like all other fish,it depends of the individual fish.This myth about the evil mean betta is often argued about.lol.But the splendens can often be quite docile little buddies. :D

I have two female bettas in with my lionheads and they get along just fine.

Aww i bet there cute.Right now i have one male betta in my pond with all my comets.He's a pretty happy little guy.The comets dont bother him and he doesnt bother the comets.A little girl asked me to keep him for her because her parents wouldnt buy her a tank for him.She comes buy every day to see him.It's rather cute.lol

When my goldies were babies, I had Spooky in with them for about 2 weeks or so while I was trying to figure out where to keep him. He stayed in his own little territory and no one got hurt, but I think it was probably stressful on him. I would never do that again.

When my goldies were babies, I had Spooky in with them for about 2 weeks or so while I was trying to figure out where to keep him. He stayed in his own little territory and no one got hurt, but I think it was probably stressful on him. I would never do that again.

Well the one the little girl put in my pond absolutley loves it there.lolI used to keep bettas when i was younger,and made a little bit of money breeding the little boogers. :) He's showing no signs of stress,and if it eases your mind any he's in his own portion of the pond which would be the the secluded raised area by the smaller water fall.It stays pretty warm where i'm at and he's been in there for a while now.LOL.Big scary pond betta?lol :rolleyes: Besides i'm sure his own little area of my pond is better than a cup eh?It's only until she can save up enough money to buy him a tank(i already bought her a fliter she just doesnt know yet)She's a good 5.00 shy of a 10 gallon.I was pretty surprised when he didnt seem to have an issue with the current.The little girl is about 7,and she comes buy and likes to play with my 2 year old daughter so i really dont mind.Little girls after my own heart.But no worrys it's not a permanent situation,just a temporary solution. :D

Yeah, I've been keeping a female betta with my gf for awhile now. Also, a platy and cories and they all get along great so far. I keep my eye on them but none of these fish are agressive at all. Before this I had her in with danios and they never bothered each other except at feeding time the danios shoved her around so bad she had trouble getting food. Now it's all good. And she's not affected by the filter current either--swims right through it all the time even though it pushes her down!

That's so cool about a betta in a pond--never thought about that before!

Yeah, I've been keeping a female betta with my gf for awhile now. Also, a platy and cories and they all get along great so far. I keep my eye on them but none of these fish are agressive at all. Before this I had her in with danios and they never bothered each other except at feeding time the danios shoved her around so bad she had trouble getting food. Now it's all good. And she's not affected by the filter current either--swims right through it all the time even though it pushes her down!

That's so cool about a betta in a pond--never thought about that before!

yeah i find it kinda funnyTo go out to the pond and see all my big beautiful comets waiting for there food,and then going over by the raised waterfall and seeing the little girls tiny bright betta waiting there looking at me like "it's about time"lol.What a big scary pond fish he's becoming... :rolleyes: lol.No wonder she loves that little guy so much.He's got a bunch aof personality.

I have had female bettas w goldies, never had a problem, but just remeber bettas are small enough for big goldfish to eat :(

This ones a male and suprisingly not aggressive in the least bit.He was a bit spooked when i initally put him in the main area of the pond with all the comets,but no real issue.But he's much more comfortable by the waterfall. :D i'll admit I'm gonna miss the little guy when he goes,but he's not my fish.lol.

Getting along is not the issue with goldfish and bettas.

Bettas do not like a lot of current. Goldfish needs 10 times gph and that means a lot of current.

Bettas need 72 to 78 degrees water temp. Goldfish need a lot less.

Betta needs special betta foods. Goldfish needs special goldfish food.

So you see it is just not a good idea ever.

• Admin
Getting along is not the issue with goldfish and bettas.

Bettas do not like a lot of current. Goldfish needs 10 times gph and that means a lot of current.

Bettas need 72 to 78 degrees water temp. Goldfish need a lot less.

Betta needs special betta foods. Goldfish needs special goldfish food.

So you see it is just not a good idea ever.

She is right, the only way i got around it was i have a very tall 36 gal tank so the current didnt reach every part of the tank, Gel food i made was for both and the temp of my goldies are at 76F, but to do it again, nope wouldnt do it, to much work to keep them safely together :(

They arent "together"The betta is in a seprate portion of the pond.The waterfall is a raised elevated area and for the time being he has a screened off section Where the waterfall is.Not alot of current,and eats sepratly.As i stated before i'm doing it as a favor to a little girl who plays with my daughter.He'll be fine until she gets the tank next week.And anything was better than that cup.lol.

Archived