IMG_1887_2.jpgIMG_1885_1.jpg

Amo-0

Nitrite-0

Nitrate-10

ph-7.0

hardness-120

alkilinity-180

ph out of tap-7.5

Tank size is 20gs been running more than a year.

Filtered by Penguin 200B Power Filter/There's no carbon in filter strictly bio media.

50 to 75% WC once a week/Water quality tested twice daily

Just one fish this is a hospital tank. She's about 2.5/3inches.

Meds are medi-gold and Maracyn Plus

She's had NO contact with any new fish or plants

I feed them...the grocery store. Right now she's just getting the medi-gold.

She's got two "bruises" on her back that have recently formed and I'm not sure why, what they really are, or how to treat them.

I've been fighting dropsy with her a few days now and she had been looking a little better but I just noticed when I went to check on her that she's listing to the side a little now. I know the marks on her back are not ammo burns. She hasn't been in any water with ammo since she's been with me. Any ideas y'all?

Do you think a slime coat additive would help? I will try putting her on the metromeds.

You mean something like Stress Coat?

If she is as "dry" as she looks in the photo, she probably has almost no natural slime coat. That would explain the "bruise" marks. I would think that Stress Coat or an equivalent would most certainly help. It certainly can't hurt.

Rick himself stated that metromed is the one for beginning stages of dropsy. I can personally tell you that it works wonders for that. One caveat is that since it has much more medicine than medigold, it is not the most appetizing food for goldies. If she does not eat it, you may have to force feed her.

Good luck Ryuu. I think the black marks are internal bleeding. The dropsy will be the reaction to the internal problem.

I hope she recovers for you. Did the swelling take a while to appear? Im sure you have all the bases covered (temp etc.) and are doing your best. I think metromed is the best at treating dropsy, having helped one of my orandas 3 times now who had dropsy symptoms.

Hope she gets better soon.

Ryuu, did that black necrosis happen suddenly or were those areas preceded by blood spots or ulcers? Is there any swelling at all in either eye? It's hard to tell not knowing your fishie. The abdominal swelling does seem to be lopsided. Has she ever dropped eggs/is she a confirmed female? Can you get a look behind the gills? Do they look pale? What was her last poop like? Is she still eating well?

These answers are all pointers to what is going on and possibly to which antibiotic will be effective. If this is bacterial kidney disease for example, the bruising is typical and the side swelling is just where turbid fluids have collected. Some of the contaminated fluids can leak to produce dark patches under the skin ..the only antibiotic that is effective for BKD is erythromycin (Maracyn) the sulfa and trimothoprim (Maracyn plus) doesn't work on the bacteria responsible for this one.

The biggest problem with dropsy is that it is symptom for so many different things :( . Finding the antibiotic that is exactly right

for the bacteria if it is bacteria involved is hit and miss and is really best done via first a scrape, and then ideally an antibiotic sensitivity test on the bacteria. Even broad spectrum antibiotics are sometimes just not going to be precise enough.

Dropsy just means fluid accumulation in the abdomen causing the scales to stick out (Noga). That fluid is the product of a serious systemic invasion of bacteria, virus or parasites posoning & disrupting the fishes natural processes of excretion and retention. Extracting and analyzing the fluid itself ( a vet can do this) will give the most accurate diagnosis. With bacterial culture/skin scrape analysis alone several groups of bacteria may be found and we are again left with phrophylactic use of drugs.

did that black necrosis happen suddenly or were those areas preceded by blood spots or ulcers?

They appeared just yesterday kind of suddenly. I fed her that morning and came back a few hours later to find them.

Is there any swelling at all in either eye?

No swelling in or behind the eyes.

It's hard to tell not knowing your fishie. The abdominal swelling does seem to be lopsided. Has she ever dropped eggs/is she a confirmed female?

She is a female. I'm very sure of that but she has never dropped eggs.

Can you get a look behind the gills? Do they look pale?

Gills look pink and healthy

What was her last poop like?

She's pooping good. They're short and the same color as the food.

Is she still eating well?

Not eating real good she's kinda just picking at her food just eating little bits here and there. That's not like her becuase she's usually a little piglet.

These answers are all pointers to what is going on and possibly to which antibiotic will be effective. If this is bacterial kidney disease for example, the bruising is typical and the side swelling is just where turbid fluids have collected. Some of the contaminated fluids can leak to produce dark patches under the skin ..the only antibiotic that is effective for BKD is erythromycin (Maracyn) the sulfa and trimothoprim (Maracyn plus) doesn't work on the bacteria responsible for this one.

The biggest problem with dropsy is that it is symptom for so many different things :( . Finding the antibiotic that is exactly right

for the bacteria if it is bacteria involved is hit and miss and is really best done via first a scrape, and then ideally an antibiotic sensitivity test on the bacteria. Even broad spectrum antibiotics are sometimes just not going to be precise enough.

Dropsy just means fluid accumulation in the abdomen causing the scales to stick out (Noga). That fluid is the product of a serious systemic invasion of bacteria, virus or parasites posoning & disrupting the fishes natural processes of excretion and retention. Extracting and analyzing the fluid itself ( a vet can do this) will give the most accurate diagnosis. With bacterial culture/skin scrape analysis alone several groups of bacteria may be found and we are again left with phrophylactic use of drugs.

I did a scrape and scope on her earlier but didn't find any hing out of the ordinary on her.

Archived