Advantages/disadvantages

TheFishMan

Ok, I'm trying to decide what i want on the bottom of my tank, at first i wanted white sand, but then i thoght it would be too much hasle, im not going to name every idea i had, but at the moment, the most likely are bare bottom, or blue gravel. Maybe start barebottom, then if i think i can handle it move onto gravel...

Could somone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of gravel, sand, barebottom and the like please?

well..if for goldfish, I dont recomend gravel, Shamu i think said she got a goldfish that died over a piece of small gravel got stuck in its mouth, so it can be very dangerous. But it look very beautiful and great for plants, I think benefit bacteria house itself in the gravel, but i dont know what if bad bacteria got trap and develope in those....gravel...

Sand is just to messy, i mean little piece what if goldfish just eat some(they suppose to spit it out though I think). But it make a very good bottom and very beautiful as well

barebottom is easy to clean and you dont have to worry about gravel getting stuck in a fish's mouth. But then most of the time you can see poop all over the bottom and it can be disturbing, and if you have plants, you cant keep it down so it just float on top even though you can get a rock or tie it down to something or get a pot put the plants in it and cover it up with pebbles

I think pebbles or riverstones is best and safe.

Lol P.S. silly sig! lol

you should not put sand in with goldies, It would really irritate their gills as when they go rooting around in the bottom, they would "suck" up the sand and it would go out of their gills, kind of like sandpaper, not good ;)

I have a barebottom, really easy to clean, and i add a few river rocks for the fish to play with lol :D

I've only ever had large gravel in my tank, and it's worked just fine for me. I like it better than a barebottom tank because (in my opinion) those can look barren and empty. It's up to your personal style, though. (You could look at pics of both in the pictures section of the message board.)

I would follow love-rabbit-fish's advice and not get sand for goldfish. Sand is supposed to be easy to clean, though, because fish poop just settles on the top...

If it were me, I'd go big gravel.

PS: Don't get gravel with any small pieces in it because goldfish might swallow them.

you should not put sand in with goldies, It would really irritate their gills as when they go rooting around in the bottom, they would "suck" up the sand and it would go out of their gills, kind of like sandpaper, not good ;)

I have a barebottom, really easy to clean, and i add a few river rocks for the fish to play with lol :D

Lol you know i do weekly water change and the poop i just use the siphon..or w/e they call the thing that to suck out water, and suck it all up....but still it look pretty disturbing during the week lol sometime I use the net and scoop it all up -___-''

I keep most of mine bare bottom but use glass beads to decorate and keep live plants in pots. I like bare bottoms just coz they're easier to keep immaculate and insures the water quality stays high. There's pro and cons either way you go. It all depends on what you like and have the time to maintain. Gravel bottoms take more time to clean, arrange, so on, and so forth. Bare bottoms take next to no time to clean.

IMG_0931_3.jpg

I keep most of mine bare bottom but use glass beads to decorate and keep live plants in pots. I like bare bottoms just coz they're easier to keep immaculate and insures the water quality stays high. There's pro and cons either way you go. It all depends on what you like and have the time to maintain. Gravel bottoms take more time to clean, arrange, so on, and so forth. Bare bottoms take next to no time to clean.

IMG_0931_3.jpg

beautiful and gosh your oranda is a cutie!

I had the polished black river rock in my show tank but was bothered at how much gunk got stuck in and under the stones, so I took them out. It still looks pretty nice and the intake for the filter is resting on the bottom of the tank, so it sucks most of the poop out for me..... I potted up the plants and they look alright. I may still go to gravel someday, but for now this looks nice and it keeps the tank a lot cleaner.

Before I had this show tank I broke down a smaller tank I had in that location and washed the gravel. It was full of gunk and stunk so badly, and this with me doing weekly water changes. You just cannot control what gets down in that gravel!

I had the polished black river rock in my show tank but was bothered at how much gunk got stuck in and under the stones, so I took them out.

I don't have the polished rock, I have the natural rock. Nothing sticks to it at all, and I find as long as I leave open areas to feed, nothing collect underneath them. It's pretty darned cool!

Yeah they do! I might do something like that. What I originally thought was

Black gravel - Would look great, and woud make the fish seem more colourful , but i dont know if I can be bothered with all the constant work to keep it clean

White gravel - Makes the water look cloudy, amakes the fish look less colourful, but poop doesnt show up as well. Again hard to clean

Blue Gravel - Makes the water look blue, great! Compliments the fish's colours slightly. But is again hard to keep clean

Barebottom - Makes the tank look empty, amd in complete, but is easy to look after, but seing those glass beads, I might use them, cuz we have tons lying around, and used as decoration. But the think is, I wanted a planted tank, and plants at the back, withmy black river rocks around them, with black gravel at the back, which then thins out, and changes to blue gravel at the front of the tank, with a few ornaments and my air stone and filter in the two back corners, and a full spectrum light. Thats what I really want, but I think I will eventually just get really annoyed with all the cleaning lol

But the think is, I wanted a planted tank, and plants at the back, withmy black river rocks around them, with black gravel at the back, which then thins out, and changes to blue gravel at the front of the tank

oooh, that'll make a really pretty tank! but one problem with that is the goldies might "rearrange" the gravel after a while with all their rooting around and stuff. in the end you might end up with a gravel mixture of river rocks, blue and blue gravel all over the place :rolleyes:

Archived