Mardi Gras

post-10035-1198870604.jpg It's a sad day. I made the painful decision to euthanise my dear little fish. He had been on his side on the bottom of the tank for weeks and had started to develop a sore. Rather than subject him to more treatments that didn't work or even help him, I ended his suffering.

Mardi had been sick since I got him, I have had him for a year and have given him every treatment available except injections. I would see him get better... but he never got well.

He was such a gentle sweet thing, he never minded if I touched him. I will miss him alot. :cry1

Oh, Rachel! I am so sorry for the loss of your dear one!!! :( You are good fish mom to think of him instead of yourself and end his suffering. I know it must be hard on you, but I think you did the right thing, Hon. I hope you feel better soon. Rest In Peace, Mardi!

Thank You Nickie. Poor little Mardi, despite all of his problems he still managed to eat and grow, but it was clear that he was losing ground. He was never stable in the water, alot of times he would just tumble in the current, but he could at least stay upright most of the time. This last bout was just too much. He has lost nearly everything that made him a fish, He lay in one spot and would not move all day. the only times he moved is when I came to feed him. What kind of life is that for a fish? Laying on the bottom and staring up at the tank light and getting a sore from rubbing against things.

It was only a matter of time till some awful infection set in or the other fish in the tank would start to eat him. I didn't want him to die in pain.

My Honey was concerned about him too. Everyday he would look in the tank to see if there was any improvement. We were both hoping for a miracle. Sadly, he did not change. I made up my mind to euthanise him last night. I just couldn't bring myself to do it then.

His little tankmate misses him too, He has been hanging around next to the side of the tank that faces the fry tank, he wants to be with them now that his buddy is gone.

You did the right thing I'm sure :hug . As you say infection is a far worse way to go and a constantly weak and floaty fish have so hard a time fighting infection which always attacks these weaker ones. I love the gentle fish, they are so calm and sweet, but I wonder too if the lack of spirit and fight doesn't sometimes indicate some deeply rooted sickness. Mardi Gras was always a beauty and will be remembered always.

:rip: Mardi.

I think you hit it right on the head Imogen, He never fought me much. Picking him up was not like picking up Glurp, a strong healthy fish, you need 6 hands to hold onto . Mardi definitely was sickly.

I will never know what was wrong with him. In the kitchen I have what I call the SBD tank. Everyone who has that problem gets moved there for special treatment. Beebee was the first, now Mardi. Cheeto is in that tank too, all alone now.

I can console myself with knowing that he had a better life with me than in the fish store I rescued him from.

Archived