Setting Up My 55g Today!

Guest ThRtst

Ave, Everyone! (Latin for Hello, Everyone!)

Today is it. The day I'm finally setting up my 55g tank. I've been putting it off for a few weeks while I've had to rethink my background idea, and now that my problem is solved, I can move forward.

First, a bit about my tank design itself, then the aquatic life!

I originally wanted to affix 12"x12" slate tiles to the back inside of the tank, but realized that their weight could mess with the tank's structural stability, and that the silicone wouldn't hold it forever, then I thought about mounting tiles on plexiglass and propping that up in the back, and a slew of other ideas that were too expensive, or wouldn't work. I ended up deciding to put the tiles on a piece of plywood with a super glue weld formula (Devcon II sumpin'or other), and then attach it to the back outside. I knew it would be pretty heavy, but it ended up weighing a whole lot more than I anticipated, nearly 50 lbs., by my estimate. This made actually hanging it on the tank an impossibility, and I wasn't too sure about wall-mounting (thin apartment walls). This is going to be remedied by another piece of plywood on top of my iron tank stand, which I can then prop the background up on in back. I'm going with a "Zen" eastern theme, with a resin statue of an old Indian/South Asian Buddha (not the portly Chinese type) as the centerpiece.

Nails, my calico ryukin, spent some time in a roommate's tank. He's now in a 10g quarantine with some bamboo shrimp and a black moor I picked up yesterday ( I know, 10g bad, but it's only for a day or so). I'll post when I finish later today, maybe with some pics, too. Thanks and Vale (Latin for "goodbye") , Cody

Very glad you enjoyed the Latin lessons. I haven't gotten started yet, as I still need to clear a path to the tank my room is a mess (all work and all studying and World of Warcraft in my spare time makes a very messy room for Jack) lol. I was able to buy the tank itself, with no accessories, from a roomie's coworker for $40. Never even used, pretty much a steal. It's not cycled yet, and I need to clean it, as the the previous owner had kept it on a dusty shelf while they were figuring out what they wanted to do with it. As for the cycling, it's not cycled yet, but I can give it kind of an instant cycle, as I've got a lot of ceramic media to take from other tanks around the apartment. Keep ya'll posted! Vale! Cody

Archived