My Poor Kitten

claire_uk

We had to rush out 6 month old kitten to the emergancy vets on boxing day as he had complications from his castration. (sorry boys!). The vet arranged a surgery for 9.20am yday to correct what had happened. We took him and the vet that saw us said she had never seen anything like it in the 5 years that she has been a vet, she said he had been very unlucky and they would operate to fix it and find out what went wrong.

When we picked him up she said that because they dont stitch them when they do the castration, his wound had healed inside out. it wasnt very nice. so he has stitches now, and has to wear a cone on his head, which is annoying him as he cant figure out where things are and keeps bumping into things! Hasnt stopped him playing though or chasing our other cat! I have to scratch his ear for him as he cant through the cone, I feel so sorry for him.

the stiches are disolvable, but we have to take him back next friday for a check up.

Here are a few pics of him.

I am so not impressed!

pics062.jpg

Watching the Birds

pics068.jpg

Chilled out

pics037.jpg

Mischief

pics017.jpg

Awww the poor little honey :( !! How scary for you all and for him. But thank goodness they managed to fix him up again.

I have heard several stories of complications with that op. But more often the female one. When Polly our dog was "fixed" they made an error and she was bleeding out with (*warning -gory details ahead) parts of her insides hanging right out and wide open to infection. The bandage was pushed off with the weight of the bleeding. We had to take her back in the middle of the night to the emergency vet and she was anaesthetised again which is so dangerous (within 24 hours).

Your poor kitty. He will heal up fast though and be back to his normal self :heart Its nice you scratch his ear for him- can he eat with the collar on? They always look so uncomfortable those things.

What you descibed as happening to your dog is exactly what happened to Jasper! because hes a boy though they didnt stitch him first and he didnt have a bandage, he was bleeding so they tested is blood to make sure he isnt anemic (sp)

it was scary. He is ok in himself, although i think he is fed up today, he has tken himself upstairs to bed!

He can eat with it on, but struggles a bit. we dont want to take the collar off as we know he wont let us put it back on. Thank you for your well wishes.

Oh the poor guy, at least you got it corrected, he'll be fine in no time :)

When my dog got spayed in Sept I thought her stitches were coming open, I was up with her all night just staring at her belly. It can be a scary time when a pet gets surgery, even a 'minor' one!

especially when something so minor turns into something more major. hes been asleep most of the day today. Hopefully he will back to himself after the weekend. thanks guys

I used to work for a vet and we had to "assist" in the spaying and neutering. However, the vet I worked for always stitched the males and females up? It is weird that they wouldn't. :blink: I sure hope your kitty gets better soon, Hon! Give him a scratch for me!

yer, we asked why they dont stitch the males and they said its coz they only make 2 small incisions and they should heal fine on their own. Not in our case, luckily because my mum recieves a benefit we can use the PDSA vets here in the UK so we didnt have to pay, other wise it would have cost ?35 + ?3 for the spay and antibioatics, ?50+ for the emergancy vet and ?280 to fix it, which we just couldnt afford. We gave a donation as they receive no government funding.

Thanks Nickie.

Archived