Finally Green

Trinket

P1020926.jpgP1020865.jpgP1020876.jpg

This was my sons project - the filters are still in but serving only as aeration. I think its finished now. Nitrates are at zero :)

What happened Anette? You mean accidental green? Thats how this all started.

Yes my fry tank was accidental green. Very very green!

I decided to get rid of it but it took a long time with frequent waterchanges.

I have old pics though!

• 3 weeks later...

It's only officially "green" when you have got rid of ALL the brown traces and the water itself is green. It still needs water changes but the suspended algae filtrates the water. You have to clean all the brown parts off every day so they don't compete with the green thats developing. The fish themselves have never looked better- if I could see them- which we cant really which is the down side to "greenwater" tanks.

It's only officially "green" when you have got rid of ALL the brown traces and the water itself is green. It still needs water changes but the suspended algae filtrates the water. You have to clean all the brown parts off every day so they don't compete with the green thats developing.

How did you develop yours? I don't see sunlight hitting that tank, unless it was night time when you took the picture.

The only tank I've been able to get green algae in, is my son's 5 gallon that gets a little morning sunlight. What I worry about with situating tanks where the sunlight will hit them, is the water heating up too much. My tanks' water already sits at 78+ degrees F. Sunlight would likely keep it in the mid 80's.

I want to know is there a way to get green started without natural sunlight? Prolly not, huh?

I'll try and get a better pic as the green is really even more vivid right now. Lola the tank gets full sunlight all day and we even had the net curtain open to get maximum effect. It has taken months and months. Its winter here so the tank water is cold and the sun is not a strong as it was in the summer but the light is almost as bright. We are lucky getting a lot of cloudless days with very bright sun in this pacific ocean edge of Japan..I dont know if cloudy light works as well as the direct sun.

Archived