I Get Almost No Algae In My Tank

Guest dmartins

Guest dmartins

i have had my tank setup for a couple of months and my fish are doing great; no apparant health issues, they eat like little piggies and seem in overall good health. the params read fine, regular 25-40% water changes, etc.

one thing that i noticed recently is the almost complete lack of any algae on my tank walls. the inside is "slimey" but almost no dark algae grows. could this be an indication of something?

thanks

yeah chubbygold beat me too it what is the wattage of your lights and the size of your tank? no algae just means there is not alot of light to help multiply the algae cells. also how long has this tank been set up?

haha lucky you! it seems everyone who doesn't have algae wishes to grow it, and everyone who has algae all over their tanks can't seem to get rid of it! :D

haha i don't keep my lights on too much and yet my tank is chock full of algae! gotta scrub once a week! *sigh* time to invest in a good UV sterilizer.

g'luck with the growing of algae! maybe i should send you a little cup of my water! :lol

haha lucky you! it seems everyone who doesn't have algae wishes to grow it, and everyone who has algae all over their tanks can't seem to get rid of it! :D

haha i don't keep my lights on too much and yet my tank is chock full of algae! gotta scrub once a week! *sigh* time to invest in a good UV sterilizer.

g'luck with the growing of algae! maybe i should send you a little cup of my water! :lol

i know what you mean Emily i did a big clean of my tank today and i could not believe how much green algae there was on the glass and oh boy is green algae hard to scrub of :P

Well don't scrub it all off! The bright green kind is a real bonus to have. In low light you'll get the black brush which looks like little black or blue mushrooms- don't really like that one and its very hard to get off plants. If you're not seeing any spots of algae at all your tank may not be cycled completely. Either that or you are a meticulous and very thorough cleaner :D

I had the same thing happening, took me months to work out that my goldies were eating it. The tank doesn't get much light either, so the algae growth was always minimal, and when it did appear the goldies thought they'd got a new treat LOL, they'd just suck at it till they got it off.

oh Imogen i never scrub all of the algae off i leave it on the side walls i just get rid of it on the front of the tank the fish like to nibble on it lol ;)

Guest dmartins
yeah chubbygold beat me too it what is the wattage of your lights and the size of your tank? no algae just means there is not alot of light to help multiply the algae cells. also how long has this tank been set up?

i have an incandesant hood with two bulbs....i put those energy efficient ones than give off a nice white/blue light...they are like 13 watts each but give the same light as 60 watt bulbs. the tank is currently overstocked (10 gallons and 4 small fancy GF) and I am looking into some other options that will allow me to have a bigger tank in the space (wall nook) i want.

i generally keep the light on from 6pm to about 1am everyday and during the day i have my airstone on. the tank was first setup in late october, and i cycled with the fish in it (poor fish!).

i have an incandesant hood with two bulbs....i put those energy efficient ones than give off a nice white/blue light...they are like 13 watts each but give the same light as 60 watt bulbs. the tank is currently overstocked (10 gallons and 4 small fancy GF) and I am looking into some other options that will allow me to have a bigger tank in the space (wall nook) i want.

i generally keep the light on from 6pm to about 1am everyday and during the day i have my airstone on. the tank was first setup in late october, and i cycled with the fish in it (poor fish!).

I hope you can get a bigger tank atleast of 40 gallon soon. Post photo until then :D

I usually keep the light on atleast 10 hours a day. If I dont have poor lighting i might end up with brown algae which I really dont liek the look of it.

Archived