Oranda Vs Fantails

gouverneurcc

I am cycling my new tank with fish in it, which I have done before and this is not my question. My new 38 gallon is cycling nice.

I recently just got an Oranda and during feeding time for items such as wafer discs he bullies the two fantails away, so that he can have it all to himself.

I have had friends who have had the same problems.

Outside of food, he is always nice to the others, but different during feeding time.

Is this the case with most Orandas? Are they more territorial about food?

Any insight would be helpful.

Brandon

no my orandas are all very calm and nice during feeding time i think you may have gotten an oranda with an agressive personality . After all they are known as the gentle giants of the goldfish world

Oranda seems to have very different personalities. Like humans.... :D

My Oranda is about as sweet as they come. My friend on the othere hand had a Red Cap Oranda who was viscious and attacked and killed any tankmate that showed any signs of illness.

Oranda seems to have very different personalities. Like humans.... :D

My Oranda is about as sweet as they come. My friend on the othere hand had a Red Cap Oranda who was viscious and attacked and killed any tankmate that showed any signs of illness.

wah you are serious?! that is really........unusuall.....lol atleast I never know any of Oranda that is so agressive.

wah you are serious?! that is really........unusuall.....lol atleast I never know any of Oranda that is so agressive.

Yes unfortunately I'm serious. My friend's red cap wasn't really aggressive normally. The worst she would do was to poke other fishes. However at the first sign of illness shown by another fish..... :(

Yes unfortunately I'm serious. My friend's red cap wasn't really aggressive normally. The worst she would do was to poke other fishes. However at the first sign of illness shown by another fish..... :(

Oranda is beautiful but really....interesting.....that is pretty sad though...what if a fish had diseases that can be treat easily, but then the oranda...kills it....

Oranda is beautiful but really....interesting

I think Orandas are my favorite. They have that cute bulldog faces and the beautiful wen. As you know they can grow very big. My oranda, Sash is very big and strong but he is a giant teddy bear. He wouldn't even think about hurting a sick fish.

My Orandas are very good natured, they are slower than the fantail too. Adding food to different parts of the tank sounds like good advice. You could even try and chuck food at one end, while hand feeding the Oranda at the other if the Oranda is partial to being hand fed. If the problem persists, it might be worth swapping the Oranda for another fish at the LFS.

Oranda is beautiful but really....interesting

I think Orandas are my favorite. They have that cute bulldog faces and the beautiful wen. As you know they can grow very big. My oranda, Sash is very big and strong but he is a giant teddy bear. He wouldn't even think about hurting a sick fish.

Yup, I love looking at orandas, very beautiful. I agree, they can be compare to a cute puppy lol even though I never have one. But my all time favorites are lionhead and ranchu lol. It's great that your is so friendly lol

I will keep on eye on my new Oranda. At the LFS she was with a bunch of other Orandas...maybe he just isn't used to other kinds of goldies. Today was his first day in with the fantails, so we will see maybe he is just curious and doesn't want to share with different fish. He is sooooo cute. I can't really see him being mean forever.

Thanks for the advice on feeding though :D

Greatly appreciated!!!

or you could place the oranda in a other fish tank... :yeah:

I just got my new 38 gallon tank and since I am at college currently...My 20 gallon tank is all that I can have at college, but I will be keeping my 38 gallon at home and don't have anymore room for another. My mother will help with the 38 since I am only 30 minutes away at college, with me coming home once or twice a week for water changes or if an emergency comes up. I had to bed her to help with the 38, so I doubt she would be accepting of another 20 gallon tank lol. :P

lol cool, you should post a photo of him sometime!

I am in the process of getting photos of all of my Goldies :D

My digital camera sucks, so it is taking some time for nice photos.

I will post as soon as possible :D

• Admin

That's one of the neat things about goldfish, there personalities :lol I have 2 big girl Orandas one Princess is aggressive w her food the other is more passive. Its interesting that you can see there personalities like this, unlike small fish (guppies) you cant really see it, but goldies wow they really all it. All of my fish are different in there own ways. :D

That's one of the neat things about goldfish, there personalities :lol I have 2 big girl Orandas one Princess is aggressive w her food the other is more passive. Its interesting that you can see there personalities like this, unlike small fish (guppies) you cant really see it, but goldies wow they really all it. All of my fish are different in there own ways. :D

I agree, even though now i have not see the personality of my fish yet lol but for guppies, they all alike...I cant really tell

..Jasmine my biggest Oranda is pretty much a bully when it comes to food..She will indeed chase the other away or steal from them.. on the other hand shes very sweet and gets along with others well..Ive learned to scatter the gel food around in her tank and since then no trouble.. Ive heard orandas can have one heck of an attitude but Ive never really seen it..All fish can become aggressive at any given time.. Once I seen this HUGE oranda at a lfs all by itself.. They told me That Oranda would bully all the other fish around all the time..Im sure theres a few in each types of goldies :exactly

..Jasmine my biggest Oranda is pretty much a bully when it comes to food..She will indeed chase the other away or steal from them.. on the other hand shes very sweet and gets along with others well..Ive learned to scatter the gel food around in her tank and since then no trouble.. Ive heard orandas can have one heck of an attitude but Ive never really seen it..All fish can become aggressive at any given time.. Once I seen this HUGE oranda at a lfs all by itself.. They told me That Oranda would bully all the other fish around all the time..Im sure theres a few in each types of goldies :exactly

lol so far I only heard about oranda of having multiples personalities, some of the other fish are....normal

:rofl Yeah I agree there.. but really though, orandas are wonderful and are sooooo cute!..I find they get along better with other Orandas but each are differant in their own unique way..I choose Orandas mainly because everytime I hit a LFS its the Orandas who seem so eager to go home with you!..lol and plus..they each and everyone has their own body style..I like the chubby ones though..Just have to feed them properly..

Today during the morning feed he seemed a lot more willing to share food. I did spread it out more along the tank, which is good news. He follows the others around and likes to play tag. He will chase Crash or Sharkie around and tap them on the side or behind and than turn the other way and swim away expecting them to come after him. It is quite funny to watch.

Archived