Got My First Rescue Fish--rainbow Shark!

arabpaso

I'm sooo happy this happened--My bf and I were out shopping in a neighboring town and I saw they had a no no. After getting some groceries we stopped back at the pet store and went directly over to the fish section. I was admiring all the goldfish but my bf got bored with them and walked over to the tropicals. That's when he saw this guy come up to the salesperson with a fish in a bag and heard him say "We're moving and we don't want this fish anymore". So my bf says well she'll take it and pointed to me. He was kind of joking but the salesguy asked me if I would like the fish cause he can't just put it back in the tank with the others. I was surprised, but I knew what would happen if I didn't take him (he would be flushed or some equivalent), so of course I said yes!!

So, I am now the proud owner of a male rainbow shark about 2 1/2 in. long. :D He looks perfect and is actively swimming around in qt right now. I had to look them up online to see how to care for him as I never had a shark before. I'll rearrange some tanks and find him a spot. Apparently they get kinda big, 6-7 in., so we'll see how it goes. This is really exciting--my first rescue where I was in the right place at the right time to help this little dude! :bingo:

That is great Kristi! Lol post photo soon! I know they always flush, oncei went there just looking at goldfish and getting food for my fish, i over heard a conversation of a guy who want to return 2 platies and the fish guy said he had to flush it down the toilet and i cant stand it so I end up taking it! I treat them then gave the mto my aunt, gosh they had bunch of fry now lol. I dont get why they cant, gosh their tanks is full of diesease anyway sigh* lol

Yay for you, Kristi! That was a really nice thing for you to do.

I looked up pictures of rainbow sharks, and they're really neat-looking!

Thanks everybody--he is a cute lil critter! My bf named him Rusty. I did take some pix but can't download them yet so hopefully I can tommorrow. The fish are at my bf's house and I forgot the connecter cable thing at my place!

Rusty is already getting territorial. I dropped a sinking pellet in for him but he was too afraid to come out from under the log to get it. My swordtail male came down after awhile and he found the pellet and picked it up. Then Rusty came out and charged the st and chased him away!! Didn't stop my st though, he just keeps coming back to look for more food and Rusty keeps on trying to chase him off--so far it's just cute but I hope it doesn't get serious. The st is bigger than Rusty and not too scared of him. :D

That is great Kristi! Lol post photo soon! I know they always flush, oncei went there just looking at goldfish and getting food for my fish, i over heard a conversation of a guy who want to return 2 platies and the fish guy said he had to flush it down the toilet and i cant stand it so I end up taking it! I treat them then gave the mto my aunt, gosh they had bunch of fry now lol. I dont get why they cant, gosh their tanks is full of diesease anyway sigh* lol

Ha! That's so true the tanks are full of disease anyway--I love it!!! The fantails I was looking at there had one dying on the bottom with shriveled fins and another with obvious fin rot. I was actually thinking of getting an all white fantail with black eyes until I saw the sick ones in with it. Just as well since I have enough gf now as it is. At least I still got a fishy, though--my freebie! And he appears to be in perfect health. :)

Archived