Another Fishless Cycle Topic...

I'm finally getting round to cycling my 50gallon tank (my filter didn't work even after changing almost all of the parts, so have just bought a brand new one!)

I would prefer to do a fishless cycle so I hunted for pure ammonia EVERYWHERE.

Eventually I have found an "9.5% w/w ammonia solution" (household cleaner) and the brandname is Starpax.

My concern is that other ingredients are not listed on the bottle and so I am very hesitant about using it, and probably won't. It also says it softens water. I have read that if I shake the bottle and it doesn't foam then it should be OK. I have done this vigourously and it remained completely flat.

Should I risk trying it?

If not, any ideas where I could buy pure ammonia? Obviously in England, not America- or online would do too! :) Thanks.

I'm annoyed that it's taking months and months to even begin setting up this tank, I go back to uni in January so really need to find some before then.

Do you have a other fish tank?

if so you could place some of the tank water in there..are you going to have 2 filters for the 50? if so you could run one in your old tank..

hopefully that will help you

And post pics when it is all done :D

Yes I was going to put some old water in anyway, but it isn't enough to cycle it. I could also let flake food break down in a net in there, but it'd be much easier to find some pure ammonia. Neither of the filters for the new 40 gallon are suitable to fit into my 20 gallon.

You can probably use that. I posted in your other thread about not being able to find the ammonia, and what we use in the states is 10% proof, so your's should be adequate. You can always ask where you bought the product what ingredients are in it, or call the manufacturer of the product and ask them personally. The brand we use from Ace Hardware in the states is the same way---does not list any other ingred., however, when shaken, no bubbles.

Ah ok, well I'll give it a go then seeing as it doesn't list other things- it doesn't list water and ammonia though, it doesn't have any list at all. I suppose if the bubble test is reliable I will use it. Just really desperate to get the thing cycled within the next million years!

Archived