Anything To Know About Moving A Tank?

fredct

Ever since we got our 20 gallon, its been on a raised portion of the floor ('split-level' apartment) because we didn't have anything to hold it that I feel could safely hold 20 gallons. Well, for the holidays we got a stand rated for 30+ gallons.

We haven't set it up yet, but when we do, I want to make sure theres nothing I'm missing about what to do when physically moving the tank. Since this is a short distance move/time i figure there's no need to store the filters or anything in tank water to keep the BB alive, right?

My plan is:

1) Remove ~5 gallons of water from the new tank to the old 5 gallon tank with one of the filters attached in there for a bit

2) Lift Fishie in a tupperware and put him back in his old tank temporarily.

3) Remove much of the rest of the water to various fish bowls and buckets.

4) Remove most of the rocks and move the tank to the new stand. Clean algae off about half the rocks and the sides in the process since its a convenient opportunity.

5) Place the rocks back, place much of the water back.

6) Move Fishie back to the big tank via a tupperware container, move back the other filter.

7) Top off with several gallons of fresh water so we've accomplished a water change at the same time.

Anything important that I'm not planning on doing? Or something I am doing which I shouldn't?

okay what i would do is empty the tank completely try to keep as much water as possible, as the slightest amount of water in a tank when moving can cause it to twist and apply stress cracks to the tank or cause it to brake. put the filter media in the buckets of tank water and you can put the fish in tupperware. then fill the tank up with water and put the filter media back in the filters

• Admin

Looks good hun, Im very glad to see that your going to remove all the water. As u might have seen here before, water left in the tank can cause problems w the tank when moving it..... :D

Thanks guys! Dan, if the whole tank move is going to take less than half an hour (and probably a fair deal less), is there any point in doing the 'store in tank water' thing?

i really don't think so, as long as the media stays wet within the filter, it will be fine.

I have to unplug my filters during my large water changes, and that usually takes about 30 minutes or so, but water remains in the filter, or i just pour some tank water over them now and then to make sure they don't dry out. it has never messed up my cycle doing it that way.

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately I opened the stand box tonight and part of the backwall/sides piece was cracked! Great.

I submitted a request for a replacement part online since their phone support is closed for the holidays. Fishie'll have to wait another week or two for us to get the replacements, but thanks again for your help! If anyone else has any other thoughts, feel free to chime in.

well you don't have to as the water holds very little beneficial bacteria but there is some every bit counts lol if you want you can just refill it with new water just make sure to keep your media wet the whole time in tank water while the move is going on

Archived