Got A New Tank For Christmas

Daniel

it is a 30gal tank for the axolotls it will be fully planted eventually with co2 and black sand as substrate. It is currently empty as it was set up today and the aquarium silicone for the rock background is drying. when it gets plants and substrate etc i will post more pics in the planted photos section

here are some pics

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

thanks alex and shamu. Alex you should be able to get axolotls from your lfs. depends on the size when the reach adult hood i like to give 10gallons then if needed 15, but 10 is usually enough. oh i don't want to use pvc pipes i may use some terracotta pots, but since it will be fully planted the plants will be enough to play in :)

That looks fantastic, just curious how your going to cool them? I had an awful time when I had axies trying to keep the temp under 24 during Summer, ended up losing both to heat stress.

we have had axies for a while our house is air conditioned it constantly runs it has not gone of in ages no one here worries about the bill as my Dad is the owner of his company him and his 2 other business partners agreed that there company would pay for any bills in all 3 families considering the amount of money the turn out per capita the annual bills are like change to them lol

wah beautiful tank, i love the bg lol, planted tank? interesting i love those fully planted tank! Please post video soon. Do you know how to run or make a co2 system, can you show me how to get it. lol

i have made co2 before but the tanks i used them on were big tanks so they were pretty useless but on this tank it will be good. i think i may just buy a co2 system though it lasts alot longer than the diy ones

i have made co2 before but the tanks i used them on were big tanks so they were pretty useless but on this tank it will be good. i think i may just buy a co2 system though it lasts alot longer than the diy ones

do you know where i can buy them? are they expensive? lol My plants seem to die slowly, it grew but then not very healthy...

co2 units are really expensive it is cheaper to make one. You can order co2 kits off the internet. Your plants may have died due to not enough wattage. What are the watts on your lighting and the size of your tank?

taken from sushi67 - note diy co2 in only effective in tanks up to 30gallons

i like this co2 recipe -

Here is what I do:

Buy some baking yeast( about $1 a packet at most grocery stores)

Take a Gatorade bottle or soda bottle( 12 oz should be enough for your tank but the 2 liter soda bottle will last longer) and clean it out with hot water only.

Anyways, take the cap and screw a hole in the top of the cap. It should be a snug fit around you airline tubing of choice. Then hot glue around the hole, both on the inside and outside to prevent leaks. While it cools, you can make your mix.

I will use the mix for a 2 liter soda bottle. Just cut it in half for a 20 oz bottle. Put 1 1/2 - 2 cups of sugar into the bottle. Then get some really hot water from your sink and fill the bottle up about or under the halfway mark of the bottle. Get a stick and stir up or sugar until it dissolves or at least until it isn't all clumped in the bottom. Then take cold water and slowly fill up the bottle till you are about 2-3 inches from the top. The water should be warm but not hot. If its to hot, your yeast will die. If it still feels to hot let it cool for a while and then put in 1-2 tsp of yeast and carefully stir for 30 seconds.

Once that is done, put your cap on the bottle. The airline tubing should not be touching or in the water.You don't want yeast to get into your tank. It is not fun to clean up. Attach a airstone to the other end of the airline tubing. Put a suction cup on the airstone and place in your tank. Preferably under your filter intake. I like the cheap vvvv topfin brand one. It makes really nice tiny bubbles.

Wait 24 hours. If you haven't seen any bubbles coming out of the airstone then you either killed the yeast or you have a leak. Hold the whole bottle under some water, including the tubing to see if there are any leaks. If it is leaking then you will see bubbles coming out of the bottle, cap, or tubing. If the bottle is leaking then try hot glue. If the cap is leaking find a new one or try hotglue. If the tubing is leaking. Cut it off and attach new tubing. If you killed the yeast with hot water, then dump it out and try again.

co2 is needed for plants to go through photosynthesis, just in case you didn't know. Just look in a high school level biology book. I'm sure it will be in there.

Here is my soda bottle. I have a Gatorade bottle behind the tank but I just noticed it needs a new mix. lasted 2-3 weeks, which is a good lifespan for a DIY setup. Smaller bottles are easier to hide.

Archived