Does Anyone Know Anything About Brine Shrimp

Guest Bubbles76

Guest Bubbles76

Well, I'm not sure. But I read that little goldfish fry need to be put on brine shrimp for good growth. I'm not sure how to do it. I went to the store and bought some brine shrimp eggs to hatch, but not sure how to do it. Any ideas? The instructions were not detailed. Oh, and do I need to buy the special hatching unit thing to hatch these shrimp eggs? I haven't gotten one.

Oh, as for my fry I found eggs on Dec 16 and I came home and found fry on Dec 19. I only had 8 or 9 fries. Well, most died off, now I only have 1 left. He has a hearty appetite and currently I'm feeding him/her Hikari First Bites and some Liquid fry food. Is there anything I need to know.

Hopefully I can keep this one alive. I have a 3 gallon filter and an air stone going. I have also put the fry in a breeder net thing, so he/she doesn't get sucked into the filter and die.

Any help is appreciated!

Guest Bubbles76

Yeah, I did buy a brine shrimp net when I bought the eggs from the store. I tried to hatch a few this weekend and i could hardly see them (too tiny). Do they live for long? I think some of mine were dead when I looked at them around 24 hours. They weren't moving. Could I still feel that too my fry?

My fry would be 2 weeks old this coming Wednesday. Is it still too soon for shrimp?

another easy food to feed fry is the hard boiled yoke of an egg, just alittle bit at a time. :D

yeah, becareful feeding that, it's easily spoil the water and cloud it, not to mention if feeding to much and left over it not just only cloud the water but it will smells badly :o

otherwise it's very good food source for fry, they will be growing big and healthy soon, just dont overfeed or feed it to much

• Admin

yep and they wont eat for the first 3-4 days cause they have a yoke sac, so no need to feed them, how u can tell is there is a round belly you can see on them, they also will stick to leaves or the sides of the tanks and not move much at all, don't feed them at that time, when they start to free swim and there sac is shrinking, feed them like the top of a pencil eraser just the top surface of it. I did was boiled an egg, got the yoke out and then saved it in a container then i would get a small smush of it on my finger and swish it in the tank for the fry :D

I have been feeding my fry frozen baby brine shrimp they seem to be doing well. I thaw them out in a cup of tank water and just pour them in. The fish chase them around as if they were alive. It is easier for me than raising my own shrimp. I am seeing little full bellies. :D I have alot of fry, it is hard to know how much to give them though.

Brine shrimp eggs from the San Francisco strains are the tiniest shrimp - and the fry do well with those. You can create hatcheries easily with household items.

I took 2 liter plastic pop bottles and cut the bottoms off. These were placed cap side down into a piece of pvc tubeing to hold them. The cap was drilled out and an airline run up into the bottle with an airstone attached.

The salt water to hatch the shrimp is added and dissolved and the eggs are added. With aeration and a light bulb - incandecent adds the needed heat along with the light that the shrimp need to hatch - and you can get a great hatch in approximately 8-10 hours - depending on temp.

I usually have 2-4 hatcheries running - staggered with shrimp eggs. The shrimp are only of good protien quality at first hatch. If too many hours pass past hatching, there is little food value to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my set up with two hatcheries. The one on the left has just hatched - and you are seeing the shells collecting on the grooves of the bottle. The one on the right is still 3 hours from hatching.

post-27-1200015018_thumb.jpg

Nope - 2 liter plactic bottles (po - and I also have V8 bottles that work well) turned upside down with the bottoms cut off. They are sitting in 5 inch PVC pieces that have a hold drilled in the side. The airline hoses run in through the hole in the PVC and up into the bottle through a hole drilled in the bottle caps.

This way, they get sufficiant oxygen to properly tumble the shrimp eggs and aerate the hatchery. As you can see - when they hatch, the grooves in the bottles catch the egg shells and the live shrimp are eaiser to decant out - clean and free of egg shells. I sieve them out into a coffee paper - one of those ones that catches the coffee grounds (new, of course) and then rinse them gently in fresh water before feeding.

Archived