Whats A Good Way Too...

CometSue

I'm having a HUGE problem and i'm hoping someone can help me with this..My mother in law(whom im very close to) Fell in love with my fish and decided to buy a 60 gallon.She put 16 comets and 6 dozen tiny tropicals all in the 60 gallon.When she realized the comets were rather aggresive she bought a 30 gallon put all the comets in there +1 koi.No filter in the 30.just 2 bubble wands.Well every time i go over there i cant help but to look at this completly overstocked and no filtered tank.Up until last week she was so proud.Christmas eve my husband and i went over there,and much to my dismay they ALL have fin rot,and some ich. I've been dropping hints for so long and now this is just becoming cruel.The sad part is she works at a local pet store and should know better.She didnt even know there was a problem until i told her yesterday.What do i do.I saved one of the larger comets a few weeks back from her tank,by mentioning how beautiful she was,My mother in law being the way she is immediatly offered her up to me.(she does mean well bless her heart)I cant afford anymore space for the rest or i would "admire" the rest of the poor little guys :( .So i how do i help?What do i say?I dont want to intrude or be pushy.But i just cant bare to watch them die.Help?

mmm... if you don't want to plain go out and tell her that her tank is over stocked, you might try something a bit more subtle and tell her you did some research at a goldfish website (recommend koko's to her) and you found out that the reason some of the goldies were looking a bit more rough around the edges is because they need 10 gallons each. So let her know that her tank is "a bit" overstocked, and she can maybe get another tank or perhaps find homes for the ones she has. i think that is the route i would take. most people mean well, and i'm sure if she knows that she is over stocked, she wouldn't idly sit by and do nothing. (or so that's what it seems like from your post.)

goodluck! =\ we all make mistakes in the beginning... just try to find a way to let her know. :)

Suzzy,

Emily's idea was a good one. You MIL sounds like a very caring person and I am sure she wants to take good care of the fish. She just needs a direction to go in, just like a lot of us did when we were first starting out. :)

I could probably try and convince her to find homes for them,it's way too late to take them back they came from a large corparation store she works at that has a 14 day return policy.She simply doesnt live a lifestyle that provides time to care for so many fish.I do a water change everytime i go over there,but that's about all the attention the water gets.God bless her heart but she's one of those people who think it's normal that healthy 3 month old fish suddenly die.I'm so beside myself on this subject.Theres a huge golf coarse down the street that has HUGE comet and koi ponds.They breed and keep.Should i see if they have room for these fish before i approach my mother in law?

Well i got good news today.I went to the golf coarse and they said they'd be more than willing to take the little guys off her hands.(god knows they have the room lol)I guess tommorow i'll see about attempting to convince my mother in law theyd be better off.

my mother in law (after a long talk)decided she wanted to keep the 2 shubunkins,but the rest have gone to the golf course and look alot happier in the 180 gallon QT tank they have LOL.She bargained with me and has given all tropicals to various people and the small 30 gallon is now a plant tank with 2 guppies! :) HOORAY!the large 160 gallon is the new home for the 2 shubunkins along with a rubbernose she couldnt bare to part with.All in all everything is looking better.And the fish MUCH happier!Thanks everyone.I DEEPLY appreciated the help.you guys are AWSOME!!!! :exactly

Archived