Sign in to follow this  
Shamu23

Got A New Tank For X-mas!

she said it might b ok but we could make it level by putting styrofoam between the tank and the stand but we dont have any I dont think, she said it kinda depends on the thickness of the glass wether it'll b ok or not, mine is 3/8 inches which is pretty thick.

congrats shamu that is a really pretty tank :) i love it

thanks. I just cant wait to set it up! But I wont fill more water in it until I know wether the little 2mm difference will b ok or not.

Shamu, if it is only 2 mms- you could try placing a small towel under the lower side. Thats about 2mms thick. It would have to be completely flat under there mind you, no bumps and all the way across. That would even out the water weight, even if it meant 1mm in the center was raised.

You are right in a tank that size theres a concern for the pressure of water on one side but 2 mm is very slight and as other members have commented many people do have tanks on a slight slope. Our sunroom tank (30 gallon )slopes a good centimetre because the floor level is sloping. I used to have a plastic picnic sheet wedged in there but have taken that out. The water level is definitely slopeing a little.

Its good you are thinking of everything setting up but if the difference is only 2mm (and not 2cm) I wouldn't worry.

so u think it would b ok to leave it? I towel might work itsj ust that the stand isnt one that has a wooden board under the whole tank, just around the outside, so placing a towel on it might b hard, I'd rather leave it but I really dont wanna have to do that later so I could try it but I would have to drain the tank again, I probably have around 30 gallons in there now and my mom is already really concerned about me using up too much water cause our pond is draining fast and theres no way to add more water to it during the winter. But if I do have to place a towl under it Im just trying to figure out which side to raise, the one that has the higher water level so it flows over to the other side? Im hoping I wont have to do that though, do u think the glass is thick enough to withstand that little bit of extra pressure? Thanks for the help! My mom says she cant even see a difference int he water level but I saw it and I measured and its around 2 mm 3 at the most, but closer to 2 I think

Shamu- I looked at my ruler and found the 2 mm mark. It is really very slight and come to think of it maybe rather common for many tanks - I dont think you need to worry. And I wouldn't start putting towels under if the tank now if its filled with 30 gallons water or you might scratch or damage the glass.

at least I think it was 2mm, its was around 1/8 of an inch which I think is around that, cant find a metric ruler right now, just wanna confirm that, thats pretty close right?

(1/8) inch = 3.17500 millimeters

You can use Google as a conversion tool. I typed the following into the search box and hit enter: convert 1/8 inch to mm

oh my bad, thats 3 mm, is that still ok?

oh m.g.i.l. we posted at the same time, I found a calculator thingie too and it said 0.3

Edited by Shamu23

I don't know. personally I would use a towel, but I'm just over-cautious sometimes. Then again, the tank's already filled. It's your choice.

Edited by MyGoldfishIsLumpy

I pm'd Imogen again we'll see what she says

Well 3.1 mm is starting to feel like a centimeter here, really, its no biggy to drain that water out with a syphon into buckets and use it again when you have the towel under there. I think you're going to feel better doing that :) . Flat newspaper would work too.

ok i'll do that Im just so worried about making that mistake and having to correct it later, I only have two 2 gallon buckets so I wont b able to save much water, oh well, better draining 30 gallons now than 125 later I guess, my mom is gonna b upset about this she was already yelling ta me before for filling in so much water and then having to drain it again but I told here the only way to find out if it was level or not was to fill it, cause the little thing u use to check showed it pretty level, I guess i'll drain it tomorrow

Meanwhile you could maybe ask Mom if she has any other containers/rubbermaids to drain the water into.

Holy cow that a bigun!

Congrats and have fun.

well i've drained out all the water now, didnt save any of it though. So were gonna put newspaper under one side, that will work right?

That is amazing SHamu! Tha is truly a best present ever,! it's big! Please post pic soon!

Im so jealous! The new tank looks awesome! :D

I might get filters for it tomorrow but my parents arent letting me level the tank, they threatened that if I try anything they'll get rid of it :(

Shamu- as I said in PM- I am sure your parents know best about if the tank needs leveling or not. Trust them! They can see the tank and do have experience too of related problems. I think they have spent a lot of money on the tank for you, they must want to be part of setting it up and want you to be happy and not worrying, so you should try and listen to their advice about this and accept it :)

Hey Shamu, Congratulations on the new tank. I'm so jealous. That's the tank I wanted for my fish room, but I ended up with a used 75 gallon. I don't think we could have gotten a 125 down to the fish room in the basement with the way the steps curve anyway. A 125 is great because you can actually get to the bottom without having to get up on a step ladder. Some tanks are just too deep, but a 125 is perfect.

My 75 in the fish room is not level. When I fill it up I can see that it slopes from right to left -- the left side is a little lower than the right. I think it's because my concrete floor must not have been poured level. I just fill it up so to where I can't see the water at the rim and forget about it..... 2-3 mm is no big deal. I'm sure the tank can handle that.....

Tell your dad that he can have his tropical planted tank when he BUILDS YOU A POND, LOL....... :D

Really, I'm very excited for you.....

lol yeah but to get the tank I had to promise them that I wouldnt ask about a pond again, but ya know i'll find other ways of asking them without really "asking" lol, but as soon as I get my own place the first thing Im getting is a pond!

Gorgeous tank! Can't wait to see it once it's set up!

Congrats!