Jaws Is Sick

nickie73

Water Params:

Nitrite= 0

Nitrate= 5

PH= 7.6

Ammonia= 0-.25

I just did a big water change and while I was doing this, I notice that Jaws has blood streaks running thru his tail and he is gasping and swimming funny. He was fine before the WC, ate well, and I didn't notice the blood streaks. My PH has gone up! Usually, when I first change the water, the ph is at 6.8. It will slowly rise to about 7.2 over a 24hr period. However, when I did the WC just now, the PH was at 7.6 already!

Tank= 29g, uncycled, been set up for 64 days

Two fish, Hammy (demekin) 3 and half inches, Jaws (fantail) 4-4 and a half inches w/out their tails.

I feed them gel food, veggis, fruit, peas

Filters are a Whisper 10-30 and an Aqua Tech 20-40

No meds and I use Prime

I have not checked the PH out of the tap yet, but I will in a sec.

Right now, Jaws has blood streaks running thru his tail very badly and is swimming kind of lopsided. No pineconing. Hammy is fine. No symptoms at all.

Edit: PH out of tap is 7.6. I am not sure what the PH in the tank was before the wc I just did.

Are there any white edges to his fins is his poop normal or white. Blood streaks can be a sign of a bacterial infection if there are white edges to fins its early stage of fin rot.

I would give him the medi-gold for ten days and see how he goes. If no improvement then switch to metromeds.

Nickie I hope Jaws gets better soon. Remember you must use the medicated food for a minimum of 14 days. 30 days preferable, and up to a max of 60 if necessary. Very important that you do not feed anything else during this time. Keep the water param as perfect as possible and maybe use maracyn as well.

Nickie I hope Jaws gets better soon. Remember you must use the medicated food for a minimum of 14 days. 30 days preferable, and up to a max of 60 if necessary. Very important that you do not feed anything else during this time. Keep the water param as perfect as possible and maybe use maracyn as well.

I used it for 14 days last time and I do big wcs everyday, so params are not a problem, except for my crazy PH!!!! I will maybe go longer than 14 days this time. I didn't feed anything else last time, just the med food. Thanks!

• Admin

whats your KH hun, we might have a problem. My tank just went into this too and the KH drop down to 50ppm on me then dropped my Ph down. Then I added in coral and Wonder cube and it jumped both Ph and KH......

Also another tip after you use any medicated foods, please use jump-start after words, this has the good bio-bugs to help the fish get there digestive track back on top again. :D

whats your KH hun, we might have a problem. My tank just went into this too and the KH drop down to 50ppm on me then dropped my Ph down. Then I added in coral and Wonder cube and it jumped both Ph and KH......

Also another tip after you use any medicated foods, please use jump-start after words, this has the good bio-bugs to help the fish get there digestive track back on top again. :D

I don't know what my KH is as I don't have a test for that. I will have to get one. Oh, and what is Jump-Start? Thanks, KoKo!!!

Hi Nickie,

If Jaws is just beginning this behaivor, I'd look at other things before jumping on medicated foods. That is just my personal opinion. Usually a little higher PH does not hurt the fish, only fast dropping PH's. I would not blame the PH in this case. Was the temp a little cooler or warmer than usual? That could of caused the unusual behaivor. Also, when you say "swimming funny", in what way exactly? How long did it last?

Also, the bloody fins would not be abnormal, considering your fish have been exposed to ammonia for over 2 months without a break. That will stress out the fish. I believe that as soon as your tank cycles, you'll see this disappear completely.

How long did you observe this behaivor? I would always give a new behaivor a little observation before jumping the gun....especially not being able to know all of the facts first. As you know, exposure to medication when not needed can weaken their immunity system.

I really wish you would make testing your hardness a priority (I'm being a mom here!) :) Your tank has not cycled in over 2 months, and if your KH has been under 50 this whole time, that could very well be the exact reason it's not completing the cycle. You really have to get to the bottom of that.

Oh, and what is Jump-Start?

Medicated foods do not discriminate. It kills bacterias whether it's good or bad for the goldfish. Usually after a medigold treatment, all the good bacterias that are living inside the goldfish has been distroyed as well. Jump start contains the good bacs to replace them to get your fish back on his way after the medigold/metromed treatment. I think Rick now sells them in combo with the medicated food at a discount.

If Jaws is just beginning this behaivor, I'd look at other things before jumping on medicated foods. That is just my personal opinion. Usually a little higher PH does not hurt the fish, only fast dropping PH's. I would not blame the PH in this case. Was the temp a little cooler or warmer than usual? That could of caused the unusual behaivor. Also, when you say "swimming funny", in what way exactly? How long did it last?

Also, the bloody fins would not be abnormal, considering your fish have been exposed to ammonia for over 2 months without a break. That will stress out the fish. I believe that as soon as your tank cycles, you'll see this disappear completely.

How long did you observe this behaivor? I would always give a new behavior a little observation before jumping the gun....especially not being able to know all of the facts first. As you know, exposure to medication when not needed can weaken their immunity system.

I really wish you would make testing your hardness a priority (I'm being a mom here!) :) Your tank has not cycled in over 2 months, and if your KH has been under 50 this whole time, that could very well be the exact reason it's not completing the cycle. You really have to get to the bottom of that.

:exactly I agree. Too often we jump into medicating and dont realise every time we medicate we seriously affect a fishes natural immune response system. Medicating is best left for when the fishes own immunity is impaired or disease is confirmed. The fact that the swimming lopsided happened immediately after a water change is so important a clue. It means something in that water going in did not suit this fish. What was that? Excess chloramines? A sudden pH change? Or just a difference in temperature? Even slight temperature change can be a major stressor to some fish.

And very often a stressed fish will suddenly develop new sensitivities to new things. Temperature is a classic. pH is a known.

I have had a fish develop red streaks when I fed him frozen blood worms. They disappeared after some bottom sitting...a day later.

Symptoms are there as warnings. They mean "Look for the cause". Have you rinsed your filter media recently? If you are doing water changes daily and being careful that the bacterial load is not rising in the fliter media, stress is a more likely possibility here. Unfortunately feeding medicated food for stress is a farther stressor :(

Sorry if I sound harsh, thats just my opinion.

Thanks everyone! Sorry I wasn't on yesterday. More bad luck. My washing machine gave out early yesterday morn, and got oil all in the laundry room. Had to wash clothes at my Mom's.

To answer some of your questions:

Jaws started swimming right not long after I posted this topic. I am not sure why he swam funny. :blink: He still has blood streaks in his tail fins, though. They are not getting worse. Still the same. I decided NOT to feed the medicated food. After he started acting okay, I figured good, clean water is what he needed. However, you ALL know how nuts I am about keeping their water as free from ammonia as I can. I always double the Prime and I change the water every day and check the ammonia twice a day. I am not sure WHAT caused the red streaks. It could have been the rise in PH. The water temp was not a the culprit, though. I always temp match the water before adding it. It may be a degree warmer than what was in there, but that is it.

I got a gift card to Wally-Mart yesterday for X-mas and I am going to try and get a KH test kit tomorrow.

Jaws is acting okay, eating good, etc. I have been looking him over and his scales, etc, look fine, no pineconing, nothing out of the ordinary, just the red streaks.

I got a gift card to Wally-Mart yesterday for X-mas and I am going to try and get a KH test kit tomorrow.

Jaws is acting okay, eating good, etc.

Sweet! :nana That is awesome news! I wish I got one for a present. :)

Glad to hear Jaws is back to normal.

Archived