Will My Moor Grow?

justkeepswimming

i got my blackmoor Ninja about 4 months ago. he was about 2 inches long including the tail. today, he is the same size as when i broughtt him home, maybe hes a tinyy bit longer but nothing too noticeable. i was just wondering if there should be any reason for concern here, as i was told prior to purchasing him that they would grow an inch per month. any ideas whats going on?

he's in a 10 gal tank with a whisper filter and a bubble wall and the water params are perfect...(last time i checked which was a few days ago.) i change about 30-40% of the water every week. i feed him about 4 hikari oranda gold pellets twice a day. i occasionally feed him various kinds of fruits and veggies, but not on a routine schedule.

the only thing i can think of is maybe im not feeding him the right kind of food...or not enough. or possibly he could have been stunted before i bought him? i doubt it though...

How fast he grows will be dependant on his genetics some fish just grow faster than others. I will have had my moor 2 years next month and its only in past 8 months that he has grown before that I thought he wouldnt grow. So dont worry. You have done all the right things for him only time will tell plus he may well have grown and you havent really noticed it. I have found that when friends visit who dont see my fish daily they notice the growth where I dont :)

Sounds like you're taking care of him just fine, I wouldn't be too concerned. More protein is supposed to make fish grow.... if you really want to, you could try feeding him frozen bloodworms occasionally. Just make sure to soak them well before you feed them to him.

Isn't the old story that goldfish will only grow as large as their tanks false? Or, is that true to a certain extent? And ...if it is true, could a giant super deluxe behemoth like Bruce come from two ''stunted'' fish? I mean, even if they are stunted, wouldn't their children be normal?...Am I making sense, or does the lateness of the hour make me sound strange? X.x;

What a fish becomes is dictated by genetics and acted upon by environment - the old nature and nurture.

Within a single spawning you will find fish that grow like crazy.... out shooting their mates by 10 times in size very quickly. These fish do not always survive, butthey do have one thing or another in their genetic makeup that allows them to utilize food better or obtain food better or tolerate less than ideal conditions better or whatever.

A fish that has that genetic propensity, when given all the best from the day of spawning, has the best chance to grow large and fast. Most of the growing is done in the first few months of life.

If a fish does not have that genetic possibility for growth, it will still grow - but perhaps more slowly. You could, potentially get two fish from the same spawning that, at the end of 1 year are 5 inches and 2 inchs respectively. That most likely is simply genetics.

If a fish has to contend with overstocking, semi-poor water conditions, shipping, parasite stress, disease stress, etc, it will not grow as large as fast. A two inch fish may end up being 2-3 years old in some cases. You may not know what conditions your fish came from when you buy it from an unknown source. If you purchase that cute little 2 incher from a big box store, it may very well be that it is 2+ years old. It has passed its growth spurt time - and is into its "life long growth" period which is MUCH slower. For all you know that fish may have had a disease or parasitic load - cured before you got it, but a stressor that slowed growth.....

I guess to put it in a nutshell, your fish should continue to grow, all its life. It may seem slow to you, but in 2-3 years, I think you will be amazed at the solid fish you will have swimming in your tank. Give it time, the excellent care you are giving now and you should have a nice chunky fellow in a suprisingly short time. :)

I guess to put it in a nutshell, your fish should continue to grow, all its life. It may seem slow to you, but in 2-3 years, I think you will be amazed at the solid fish you will have swimming in your tank. Give it time, the excellent care you are giving now and you should have a nice chunky fellow in a suprisingly short time. :)

that made me feel a lot better. good to know i'm not doing anything wrong and my fishie should be okay =] merry christmas everybody !

Archived