Unusual Oranda Problem?

luv4pets36

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 20

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.8

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.8

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 50 gallons, 3 months

What is the name and size of the filter/s? Emperor 400 and Emperor 250

How often do you change the water and how much? 2 times per week, 40%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 (overstocked by one) - 4 fantails, (2 inches) and 2 orandas, (3 inches)

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Anquel +

Any medications added to the tank? No

Add any new fish to the tank? The two orandas were added about a week ago, they were quarantined for about 3 weeks

What do you feed your fish? Homemade gel food, (progold, spirulina, brine shrimp, bell pepper, tuna, water, gelatin), progold pellets, and peas

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Explained below

This morning I woke up to find my largest oranda bottomsitting. As I said, he is new to the tank. I purchased him with my other oranda from a pet store and they were a bit beat up. They had ripped up fins and anchor worms. I treated them for the anchor worms by removing the adult worms and treating with dimlin. I then kept them in QT for 3 weeks with just Melafix in their water. They seemed totally healthy - fins growing back, eating great etc. So I put them in a salt dip for 2 minutes and added them to my main tank. They had been doing great up until this morning when the larger of the two was bottomsitting. She has a white fungusy looking spot on her tail, (in the middle, not on the edge), and a white fungusy looking patch on her wen, (which I had thought was wen growth until it started getting bigger). I also thought I saw a white spot at the bottom of one of her gills but I can't quite tell if it is there or not anymore. She also has a strange bubble looking growth behind her right front fin that just appeared overnight. I isolated her in a clean ten gallon and salted to .1%. She doesn't look dropsied or bloated as far as I can tell. I am going on vacation so I don't really know what to do at this point.

What could this possibly be and what actions should I take to treat her and protect the rest of my fish???

Thanks in advance for any suggestions - srry for the lengthy post!!!

Hi Luv4pets

Well done for Qting your fish first of all, although it seems that they may have been harboring something for longer than the QT period which is entirely possible or that this one fish has been affected by new bacteria in your established tank to which it has not yet grown accustomed and/or has a low resistance threshold to.

If he is bottom sitting it suggests the white fungusy looking spots are not scrapes but are probably bacterial attacks. Especially because you say there was also a pimple type spot. The white area starting on the wen +tail sounds like the external columnaris type secondary infection that so often affects stressed fish with weakekned immunity (from the anchor worm/parasites).

You should separate the fish as you have done and treat the fish with either a terramycin based antibiotic water born medication or salt to 0.3%. That bubble may mean the infection is alos internal in which case you may need to get hold of some anti bacteria food -Jungle does one that works well for this.

Thank you!

I now have the other oranda that I bought him with in isolation as well. They are in a 20 gallon rubbermaid together. The other oranda seems healthy except for the tendency to have his dorsal fin clamped. I hadn't thought much of it because of his otherwise healthy demeanor but I am worried that he may be showing signs of illness as well. He also has pimple like white spots on his wen that may or may not be wen growth. However, I figure that whatever one oranda has, the other has been well exposed to it and its best to isolate him as well. I am going to salt to .3% and I will start them on medicated food tomorrow. I am, however, worried because I am leaving on Monday for 8 days :krazy: and the filter on the 20 gallon isn't cycled. I am not really sure what to do because my mom is going to have enough trouble taking care of my big tank. Is there anything I should do to my main tank? I'm going to do a very large water change tomorrow in anticipation of my vacation and they will be cleaned once while I am gone. Should I take any further precautions? Nothing seems contagious right?

Srry for all the questions! Again, thank you so much!

I had to leave to visit my dad so I haven't been home since yesterday morning. The other oranda was alive when I left but I believe that he is dead by now unfortunately. He was hardly moving yesterday and he didn't eat. :cry1 I just wish I could be home to do something about it!!! Fortunately, he is in a hospital tank and everyone else is fine so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the rest of my goldies stay healthy and happy while I'm away!

I'm so sorry your one oranda died :( . I hope you will be able to help the other oranda when you get home. The antibiotic water meds might be a good idea now, Kanamycin/kanacyn is a good broad spectrum one or try feeding him/her some medigold medicated food like Medigold available from Goldfish Connection.com.

Thanks for all of your advice. I am going to call my mom today to see if the other oranda is still alive, and if he is I'll have her put him on medicated food. Yeah, this christmas has been bad for my fish - my sister's betta died, my julii cory is sick, and I think I'm going to lose this oranda. :krazy: its an epidemic!

Guest Halloween

Yeah, keep us posted on your fish! It HAS been a bad Christmas for fish I think. I lost my little friend to a nasty Ich/Fluke combo on Christmas day. Hope your friend pulls through!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Luv4pets, how is your other fish doing these days? Oranda up and doing okay? :)

Archived