Shoot Another One

My mom bought me a new fish...for Christmas.., it's only about 1 inches - 1.5 inches. Lionhead. It's really cute and this have nothing to do with my water quality, all the fishes in it is healthy and happy. The Lionhead...when it eats..most of the food flew out of its gills......I wonder if it will heal or will it die? I have the same one before and it died.

Thanks Nickie, here it is

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? i think 1

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? about 7

Ph Level out of the Tap? 8.5

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 55 gallon, almost 2 months now

What is the name and size of the filter/s? Aqua- Tech 30 - 60

How often do you change the water and how much? 10% every 1- 2 weeks

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fantail that is about 2 inches not including the tails. and 2 sarasa comets, one is about 1 inches the otehr one is about 2 inches, and a newest oen is the lionhead today added. about 1.5 inches maybe 2 inches including the tails

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Wardley Essential, Aquasafe, both for water tap water, and Doc Wellfish Aquarium Salt.

Any medications added to the tank? Melafix, abit

Add any new fish to the tank? yes..the lionhead that had problem

What do you feed your fish? Tetrafin goldfish flakes, cucumber, and dry baby shrimp and dry blood worm sometime once in a while

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", no nothing

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no nothing

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? no, it swim aorund alot except it hides in the dark alot. and he eats but soem of the food flew out of its gills

Hi there chubbygold. Congrats on your new Christmas present!

I just wonder how much you are feeding your newbie and if this still happens when you slow down on feeding or feed less? Small fish will not be able to take too much in their mouths and excess food can occasionally come out from the gills like that. The other reason would probably be some internal damage that is preventing digestion.

I am wondering why you have melafix in the water? A build up of melafix in water can clog the gills and cause the fish not to be able to osmoregulate sufficiently when eating. Melafix should not be used for longer than 8 days in a row as it can have a bad effect on the liver.

Are there any signs on the fish of disease (red spots, patchy slime coat, strange poop) or any other unusual behavior? Water looks good.

Thats still a fairly large pH drop from tap to tank. How are you managing that?

Hi there chubbygold. Congrats on your new Christmas present!

I just wonder how much you are feeding your newbie and if this still happens when you slow down on feeding or feed less? Small fish will not be able to take too much in their mouths and excess food can occasionally come out from the gills like that. The other reason would probably be some internal damage that is preventing digestion.

I am wondering why you have melafix in the water? A build up of melafix in water can clog the gills and cause the fish not to be able to osmoregulate sufficiently when eating. Melafix should not be used for longer than 8 days in a row as it can have a bad effect on the liver.

Are there any signs on the fish of disease (red spots, patchy slime coat, strange poop) or any other unusual behavior? Water looks good.

Thats still a fairly large pH drop from tap to tank. How are you managing that?

Thanks Trinket

um no, i dont think i'm feeding it to much, its first bite, like half of it came out of its gill. and that was this morning that I try to feed it,just now i try to feed it just abit, the same thing happen. but it does consume in abit of food

I am no logner adding Melafix, i think there are none in there, you see, my 2 fantails was damaged and it was hurt so i added melafix to heal it but then i did alot of water change since then so i think most of it is gone I only, added a little bit. But it completely heal now. None of the fishes right now i nthe tank is sick, they are all healthy active, and eat alot swim around alot as well.

The tap water is above the Ph of 8, and the water been coming down to 7.3 right now. The water been running for a while.

u might also want to do more and bigger waterchanges although params r good for now, but its better for the fish

Thanks SHamu, I will

Also noticing that you added your new one to the main tank. Did you QT the new fish? Its rather important to do that so you can observe the fish if they seem fine and also treat them with at least salt for a few weeks. So often new fish are the bringers of disease to the tank :(

Also noticing that you added your new one to the main tank. Did you QT the new fish? Its rather important to do that so you can observe the fish if they seem fine and also treat them with at least salt for a few weeks. So often new fish are the bringers of disease to the tank :(

yeah, I forgot to quarantine it before i added it. I was being very careless and it was a risk for all of my other fishes :( . Should i take it out and quarantine it?

I will psot a vid of him on here soon...after i finish upload it on youtube.

Well its very hard to tell at this stage. Perhaps the food/gill thing was just that he didnt recognise the new food, not being what he had at the lfs. In future you really should QT all fish. In this case I would be tempted to give the new fish at very least a salt dip (has to be done very carefully...a max 3-5 min dip...he is so tiny...how to do this is written up in treatment section if you have never done that). First sign of any other problems I should also have that salt to hand to treat the whole tank.

Trouble may come in the other fish in about 3 to 4 weeks time, unfortunately the new fish that seem fine bring in bacteria and disease that they have developed resistance to- the old fish are not resistant however and the incubation period is at least 3 weeks so they wont show signs for a while yet.

Thanks Trinket, all my fish i alway QT since that was already done when i start raising tropical fish. I guess I was in a hurry today and i end up just putting him in with the rest. I will be sure to do what you siad. And even though now i still do hope noen of the fish do get infect by any kind of disease. Is there anything i can do to kill or prevent any kind of bacteria and disease that the new fish might had brought in?

Well yes, you can try the salt dip. Thats a bucket with a slightly higher strength than 0.3% (you can use 0.5%) and leave the fish just a few minutes. That high strength will kill alot of bacteria immediately or within a few minutes. The problem is it is a little harsh on the fish, especially the little ones and you need to watch for any odd behavior ALL the time, you cannot take your eyes off the bucket for one second- and after 3 mins or sooner if he shows distress- you can put him back in the tank assured that at least some of the nasties have died and been left behind in the bucket.

I strongly recommend you read up on exactly how to do a bucket salt dip in the treatments section. I have to sign off line now so I hope you can manage okay! Good luck :) .

Well yes, you can try the salt dip. Thats a bucket with a slightly higher strength than 0.3% (you can use 0.5%) and leave the fish just a few minutes. That high strength will kill alot of bacteria immediately or within a few minutes. The problem is it is a little harsh on the fish, especially the little ones and you need to watch for any odd behavior ALL the time, you cannot take your eyes off the bucket for one second- and after 3 mins or sooner if he shows distress- you can put him back in the tank assured that at least some of the nasties have died and been left behind in the bucket.

I strongly recommend you read up on exactly how to do a bucket salt dip in the treatments section. I have to sign off line now so I hope you can manage okay! Good luck :) .

Thank you very much Trinket. I hope it will work, and yes it does sound abit to harsh. I hope the little guy will be ok. but I will try it but i think i will leave him in there for like 2 minutes or something.

Trinket, I did the salt dip, the fish only last about 40 second before i have to take it out, it stop moving and it sorta roll over and i was scared so i take it out right away and then it's ok now, i hope 40 second is good enough. it's sucha small fish...so now do I need to do a salt dip for therest of my fish or just that one?

40 seconds? Wow. Well, Its enough probably to get rid of some anyway.

Keep a very close eye on him now in the tank. Hopefully all will be okay.

jut chiming in what type of salt did you use? table salt can have things in it which are not good for fish. i hope your lionhead gets better :)

lol of course..I use Doc wwellfish aquarium salt, i dont knwo that is hte only thing i got right now.

Archived