How Often Should U Clean The Impeller Of The Filter?

Shamu23

I noticed recently that one of my aquaclear 50 filters was clogged and was putting out less water than my aquaclear 30 so I completely took it apart and rinsed every part, and there was sssooo much gunk in the intake tube, how often should u normally clean the impeller and intake tube? Would every 2 months b good enough cause I have so many filters cant clean them all out all them time.

I cant keep up with that lol! I've never really cleaned out the intake tubes before, I did it on 2 filters today, and they've always still worked great except this one filter, how about once evry 1.5 motnhs and every 2 months for tropicals? Im already busy enough cleaning the tanks lol!

Impellers can 'gunk up' really fast, mine get hair in them a lot (ewwwwww). I try to check them at least once a month.

LOL! :rofl Crissy, are your fish hairy?

Seriously, sometimes I don't know where all that gunky crud comes from when its just 2 fish! :yeah:

u wouldnt believe how mcuh gunk was in the intake! My dirtiest filter that I have to clean often though is on my 12 gallon tub, overstocked and underfiltered :( that chinese algae eater is messy!! And its a elite stingray 5, the last time I cleaned it the cover was stuck so I pulled really hard on it and it kinda popped open and I ended up with gunk all over the walls and the sink and absolutely everything! Good thing my mom didnt see! Oh and I never told my brother that some got on his toothbrush :lol2:whistle

My impellers dont get that gunky, not even the internal. I am cleaning the intake tube on one of the externals today, as it is very gunked up and not picking up all the poops off the bottom! I usually do them when flow decreases. I have got gunk everywhere before, including on my face, in my mouth... not nice experience I have to say!

I usually know when theres poo left on the bottom in the mornings that its time to clean the impellers and piping. And when I do..aargh, you'd think a flaky pastry died in there the stuff that comes out. I should clean them more often :exactly

Shamu, please throw your brothers toothbrush out :yikes or at least dip it in bubbling boiling water for 30 secs... :please

Shamu, please throw your brothers toothbrush out :yikes or at least dip it in bubbling boiling water for 30 secs... :please

+1

Shamu did you use a USED toothbrush to clean the impellers? No matter how much you rinse it, the toothpaste residue cannot be good for goldies. Not to mention the unfathomable amount of bacterias that are living in the toothbrush. Oh yeah, it's probably not good for your brother either....

:no::badidea:no:

I dont think she used the tooth brush, just that when she opened the filter the gunk went every where, including on her brothers toothbrush. Thats what I got anyway!

I dont think she used the tooth brush, just that when she opened the filter the gunk went every where, including on her brothers toothbrush. Thats what I got anyway!

yeah thats right, sadly my brother noticed it and rinsed it off, that would have been good payback muahahaha! That happened a couple of months ago and I told him yesterday and he said he washed it off, darn! I have a special toothbrush that I use to clean my fish stuff, I found it laying around somewhere in our house once and it hadnt been used before, its really useful! The filters I cleaned look like new now! The tropical filters dont get very dirty though.

Archived