:cry1

I am so upset. Exactly 24 hours after my new ranchu was delivered, he died. I am beside myself. :cry1

I wish I knew what was wrong. He had no physical symptoms, except for bloatedness. Ken says only 2 losses have been reported this year, and I am so bummed one of them had to be my beautiful new calico ranchu. He was the prettiest blue color - poor little guy. He didn't eat this morning. He just stopped breathing this afternoon.

Two fish gone in a short time - this is really hard. :cry1

Rest In Peace Little Ranchu. :( I am so sorry TM! I know this is not the right time to bring it up, but does Ken have any guarantees on his fish? Like if one dies so soon after it makes it to the owner? Does he give all or partial refunds?

I am sorry your pretty baby didn't make it. Hang in there! BIG HUGS to you! :heart

does Ken have any guarantees on his fish? Like if one dies so soon after it makes it to the owner? Does he give all or partial refunds?

He guarantees live delivery, and I always email him immediately upon their arrival to tell him their condition. Since this little ranchu was visibly ill upon arrival, he already had a heads up. The shipping is not refundable though. But hoping I can get some kind of credit towards delivery, becuz he arrived 2 hours late. UPS was supposed to deliver by noon at the latest, and they were late. Ken is looking into it.

Oh no!! How terrible :( . Shipping can be so rough and seasonal delay the last straw.

I am so sorry Lola, he sounded so special :cry1

That is a shame, Lola.

I wonder... is it customary for the purchaser to take what appears to be substantially all the risk in the purchase of live fish to be shipped? If so, that "custom" exists only because the purchasers are willing to accept such risk. Frankly, I think it is a bad deal, and if one is, if you pardon my directness, foolish enough to accept it, the potential consequences are obvious. Now that I have angered some or many of you, let me explain. If a buyer wants something bad enough and is willing to pay the price asked and risks associated, well then, so be it. That's the essence of a sellers' market. Or, if there is some sort of add-on premium that the seller would charge as insurance to cover purchase price and transportation costs, that would be a rational alternative.

But, I heard someone say, what about the buyer who will lie and say the fish arrived moribund or died within 48 hourse, how does the seller protect themselves from that? The answer is, they don't, at least not the first time with a buyer, but the seller should have set their selling prices at a level where a certain level of true or false losses are to be experienced and economically covered.

And finally, while I still have a toe on the soapbox, it seems to me that the various individual buyers and related conferences should make it a point to have an active dialogue regarding their experiences, good and bad, with sellers, and that the sellers are aware of what their customers think of them.

Allow me to strap on my helmet. There.....

Oliver

Allow me to strap on my helmet. There.....

No need. :)

As far as non-refundable shipping goes, I've found that everything I've had to send back that either arrived from a retailer broken, not what I expected, or just not needed anymore, I've had to not only take the shipping loss the first time, but had to pay the return shipping as well.

You should know though, that technically I only paid $5 for shipping on the second fish. Most live fish retailers will send two fish for the price of one, or close to it, in my case just a few dollars more. That is one of the main benefits of buying two fish at a time - because whether you purchase one or two, the shipping price will be the same. My other fish arrived completely healthy, so it's noone's fault.

As far as non-refundable shipping goes, I've found that everything I've had to send back that either arrived from a retailer broken, not what I expected, or just not needed anymore, I've had to not only take the shipping loss the first time, but had to pay the return shipping as well.One You should know though, that technically I only paid $5 for shipping on the second fish. Most live fish retailers will send two fish for the price of one, or close to it, in my case just a few dollars more. That is one of the main benefits of buying two fish at a time - because whether you purchase one or two, the shipping price will be the same. My other fish arrived completely healthy, so it's noone's fault.
One of the best protections for the buyer is the use of a credit card for purchases... especially by mail. By instructing the CCC to withhold or (in most cases) take back their payment to the seller, you have at least leveled the playing field somewhat
As far as non-refundable shipping goes, I've found that everything I've had to send back that either arrived from a retailer broken, not what I expected, or just not needed anymore, I've had to not only take the shipping loss the first time, but had to pay the return shipping as well.One You should know though, that technically I only paid $5 for shipping on the second fish. Most live fish retailers will send two fish for the price of one, or close to it, in my case just a few dollars more. That is one of the main benefits of buying two fish at a time - because whether you purchase one or two, the shipping price will be the same. My other fish arrived completely healthy, so it's noone's fault.
As far as non-refundable shipping goes, I've found that everything I've had to send back that either arrived from a retailer broken, not what I expected, or just not needed anymore, I've had to not only take the shipping loss the first time, but had to pay the return shipping as well.One of You should know though, that technically I only paid $5 for shipping on the second fish. Most live fish retailers will send two fish for the price of one, or close to it, in my case just a few dollars more. That is one of the main benefits of buying two fish at a time - because whether you purchase one or two, the shipping price will be the same. My other fish arrived completely healthy, so it's noone's fault.

Archived