Not Really Sure Where To Post This

claire_uk

Hi, I have had my nails done tonight with nail varnish on ready for Xmas!! But I need to clean the tank tomo (should have done it today, but time just got away.) Will I be okay putting my hands in the tank to do a water change and clean one of the intake pipes? should i wear latex gloves?

One of my bubble wands has come off and is only blowing big bubbles, will this be ok til tomo? I have good surface movement.

Thank you for any advice

lol, no hubby, and everyone has gone away now for xmas, there is only me left watching the animals till xmas eve then i go til boxing day!!

Yer they are a tight fit but i wasnt sure if i could wear them in the tank?

I dont have the box, they are in my first aid kit. I wont be doing the fish until tomo afternoon, will the nail varnish not be ok? ill do a search on latex gloves

• Admin

I dont know if you have over there, but when I had my nails done I used dish cloves and put a rubber band around my gloves on my arm so water couldnt get in. nail polish isnt good for them. :(

I thought so. It was just such a rushed day. I can put either latex or those yellow rubber gloves on with an elastic over the ends to stop water getting in. I dnt need to clean the filters, Just cahnge water and clean one intake tube.

Which gloves would be best? rubber or latex?

I have the yellow rubber dish washing gloves, should I use those? I just dont want to poison the fish!

I know latex gloves are used for fish necropsies and fish surgery so those must be fine if you have those Claire. I have read that the inside fluffy stuff inside rubber ones are not so good ( although I am sure not really, really dangerous)- use the elastic bands to be safe cuffed around. I sometimes use regular kitchen new (for dish washing )gloves but I use the ones with a smooth surface inside. All plastic in fact. Ive never had probs.

Thank you Trinket. I will decide which fit better with the elastic around. The rubber ones have a cotton inside, but since that part wont touch the water i think they will be ok. I will put an elastic around just to be sure. we usually have the all plastic ones, but my mum wanted some new ones with nice bits inside!! lol. They are brand new in the packet still so havent been used! Thank you again. I guess i just needed reasurance.

I know that this won't help you now, but for the future, you can get a pair of the long aqua gloves that are elastisized and come up to your armpit. Drs. Foster and Smith has them and I have used them on occasions such as you described, or when I have a cut on my hand or arm and I don't want the cuts to come in contact with the tank water.

Thanks for the advice, im in the UK so cant order from them, but I will do a search to see if i can find something similar. I ended up using rubber washing up gloves and they were fine. At least I know for the future.

Archived