Can Gf Get Breeding Stars On Their Heads?

nickie73

For a while now, I have noticed that Jaws has some white spots on his head. Sometimes they are visible, and sometimes not. They are not ich, or anything like that. They look like they are flush with his skin, almost like his skin has turned a different color, and they are small dots. Like I said, sometimes, I can see the dots, and other times, they are not there! I was worried when I first saw these and immediately thought of ich, but I didn't see any dots anywhere else on him, not any on Hammy. They are not many in number, just a few. I decided to see if they got more numerous and spread anywhere else before salting the tank. Two days later, they were gone. A week later, they were back again, the same spots in the same place.

As of right now, I can't see them, but I could a few days ago. Any ideas? Could they be breeding stars?

Nope, just a fantail. He has no wen, but his head is a deep red color compared to the rest of his coloring, which is orange-yellow.

ok, I know that goldies can get breeding stars on their head..Orandas especially.. seeing stars on the cheeks or above the eye is very common.. its possiable Nickie but you should keep an eye out just incase.. To bad you dont have a pic that would be a dead give away :exactly The white dots didn't appear fuzzy or anything right?..Can you check the pecs.. to see if there are stars there?..All my males have these now it looks like a rough edge on their pectorials..

Edited by jewels

Nope, just a fantail. He has no wen, but his head is a deep red color compared to the rest of his coloring, which is orange-yellow.

ok, I know that goldies can get breeding stars on their head..Orandas especially.. seeing stars on the cheeks or above the eye is very common.. its possiable Nickie but you should keep an eye out just incase.. To bad you dont have a pic that would be a dead give away :exactly The white dots didn't appear fuzzy or anything right?..Can you check the pecs.. to see if there are stars there?..All my males have these now it looks like a rough edge on their pectorials..

Nope, the dots are not fuzzy are anything. Like I said, when I can see them, they appear to just be flush with his skin and are little white dots. They are not raised dots. I don't have a great camera, but when they appear again, I will try to get a pic. He does not have any dots on his pecs, but I plan on trying Daryl's trick of using a flashlight to see if I can see any.

I have been watching him very closely since these dots first showed up. I have not seen them anywhere else on him at all, nor on Hammy. Jaws seems very healthy and active.

Nope, the dots are not fuzzy are anything. Like I said, when I can see them, they appear to just be flush with his skin and are little white dots. They are not raised dots. I don't have a great camera, but when they appear again, I will try to get a pic. He does not have any dots on his pecs, but I plan on trying Daryl's trick of using a flashlight to see if I can see any.

I have been watching him very closely since these dots first showed up. I have not seen them anywhere else on him at all, nor on Hammy. Jaws seems very healthy and active.

It's possiable Nickie they are stars.. do you know I sat infront of Keitaro's tank for about 1hr checking his pecs!..lol..and then I spoted the rough edges I was soooooo happy!..lol

i've had only 1 fish with breeding stars although he's passed away now and he had them only on his gills, they can appear anywhere in that general area and on the pec fins, if he was a male then that would explain the behaviour around Hammy

I wish I could be sure. Like I said, it seems weird to me that these "dots" appear and then disappear a day or two later. :blink: They are right above and in between his eyes, and there are only a few, like 4-5. Right now, there are not apparent and I can't see them, but I could a few days ago...

Edit: I tried Daryl's flashlight trick and Jaws has breeding stars all over his pecs and they go up to his head! LOL! After I turned the light off, I could still see them, faintly. He's ALL boy!!! LOL!!!

I didn't see any on Hammy at all, so I am still assuming she is a girl as her vent is convexed where Jaws is concaved.

Edited by Nickie